Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop seals.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tall_Girl, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Tall_Girl

Tall_Girl Registered Member

Guys,

I'm about to get my new seals for the hardtop. Now I have a few questions. Do I need any glue or anything? And what does that top weight? And maybe you have some tips for me about this replacement.

XXX
    Lana

6'5" tall Dutch girl, just bought a 88 K5, and about to dump the jeep.

2. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

As far as what sealant, get some 3M weather striping adhesive, it is yellow, extremly sticky and don't wear anyhting good when doing it. If you get it on your clothes it will NOT come out! We have always refered to it as Gorilla snot. I have no idea what it weighs, but just by sheer bulk you should need a couple of people to remove it. Do a thread search. I remember a guy talking about loosening the bolts and puting blocks of wood between the cap and the body, maybe that will get you enough separation to do replace the seals. Hope it helps.

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy, 4" lift and a shackle flip, and 35's!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

there was a thread awhile back about the weight of the toppers. if noone volunteers the info, do a search.
    as for the adhesive to attach the seal to the top itself, i'm sure a chevy dealership would have a reccomendation, then you could buy it somewhere cheaper!

a note on the installation of the topper back onto your truck: tighten the bulkhead bolts first. insert all bolts finger-tight, then snug the ones against the cab. that will ensure a good seal. then, snug all the bed-rail bolts.
    also, there's a few bolts that go from inside your rear quarter-panel, up through the bed rail. you'll have to gain access behind the interior panel on both sides, i believe. these bolts may be discarded, they only slow the process down.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. taking the top of is a two person job for sure. i did it once with my wife (but that was before we were married-now we hardly have time to[​IMG]) so you and your buddy sammy should be able to tackle it. i replaced all my topper seals with new ones from LMC and just used some contact cement to hold them in place. worked great- no leaks!

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh yeah...the weight...prolly varries per model...I'm thinking the one off my 85 is around 200 lbs? Just a wild guess,

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

You and Sammy should be able to remove it.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

8. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

I DID MINE AND WAS VERY SIMPLE. I DID NOT GET REPLACEMENTS FROM A CATALOG NEITHER. I WENT TO A WINDOW AND WEATHERSRIP PLACE AND FOUND A CHEAP REMEDY. IT WAS WEATHER STRIPPING THAT WAS SHAPED DIFFRENT BUT SLID RIGHT IN PLACE WHERE THE STOCK ONE WAS. 20 BUX

9. Tall_Girl

Tall_Girl Registered Member

I have the Seals now. I will use the fork-lift option to remove the top. Cat the bolts give trouble? (Do they need oil to come lose at times?)

I will tell you how it went when we got it all done.

XXX Lana

6'5" tall Dutch girl, just bought a 88 K5, and about to dump the jeep.

10. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i didnt have a problem with mine. you should be fine.

11. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

That dam top is big It is difenatly a two person job. What me and my father did was park the truck on a flat surface and took out all the bolts, we put the tail gate down and made up a set of stairs so you can walk down the tail gate. My dad was at the back and we just lifted and started to walk one person at the front and one at the back right down the stairs. Hope this helps.