Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hardtop security latches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaize, Mar 12, 2000.

1. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

I am replacing the security latches on the sliding windows of the hardtop ('85 K5), and was wondering if you have any other suggestions than what I've found. The broken latch is stamped "Southco, Lester, PA", and I visited their website "www.southco.com". The site is awesome, it shows exact dimensions, and it looks like I have the "200 series" in the "Living Hinge Series" of the "Draw Latches" (part #07-10-201-12)... still with me ? It looks like I could also use the higher-security version ("with Secondary Latch", part #07-10-501-72). So, I registered with them, and am awaiting their reply to see if I will be able to buy direct... Has anybody else out there done this replacement, and what were your results ? My previous K5 ('76) was broken into and cleaned out real well, so I am taking security measures seriously on my newly acquired baby. Lemme know if there's other security options (besides keeping Rufus the 100-pound Rottie back there)! thanks !

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I bought just the regular plastic latch from the local Chevy dealer for a couple of bucks. If someone really wants to get in your Blazer they will. You can stick a knife blade along the weather stipping of the wing window and open the latch (unless you have the latches that have the push button to open it). Then just stick your arm in and roll down the window ( unless you have electric windows ). A thief could also just break a window out too. Just my $.02

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Last night I saw one of those 1-hour commercials in which they were selling a new kind of 'club'. This one clamps to the brake pedal and extends to the floor, so you have no breaks and cannot depress the brake pedal to shift on newer cars. It was cool.

But what really impressed me was how easy one of their 'reformed proffesional thieves' was able to steal a car even with the old 'club'. They simply cut the steering wheel and they are gone!

What I liked about that one is that they have to duck outside of the vehicle to be able to cut the (I don't remember the name), and that will be more noticeable. Too bad this only prevents thieves from stealing the vehicle, but won't stop them from taking your stereo.

My girlfriend was robbed a while ago. She had the stereo face with her, but they took the four speakers, being more expensive the damage to the vehicle than the speakers. What suggestions do you guys have to prevent the stealing of the stereo/speakers? Or should I post this in the Audio section?

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i had my 82 k5 broken into about 6 months ago. first the guy tried the latch on the back, but i had it locked. then he tried to punch out the passenger side door lock, but i guess it was too much for him so he just busted out the wing window. he got a 3-cell maglite out of the console and a pair of kenwood truck boxes that i had sitting on the back seat. (they were out of my 83 scottsdale pickup) i bought the boxes about 4 years before from a pawn shop for 80 bucks. they really weren't worth nothing. i had a pioneer super tuner post type stereo and he didn't even mess with it. i also had a $400 cue stick buried in the back that he missed. i went and put in a whole new stereo system with a viper alarm and kill switch. yesterday i had a friend install a horn honk and light flasher to the viper alarm and he also put in once of those blue led lights that make the inside of your truck look like a spaceship when it's armed. real cool. i got that done in a trade for some edelbrock tall valve covers that i had paid 30 bucks for. if they want your stuff real bad they will get it, but i will try like hell to make it as hard as i can. besides they can take the stereo, just don't take my blazer.

Phil/82K5

5. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

There's an old saying... "Locks only keep honest people honest." If a thief wants to get into your car or truck, they're going to get in.
    People ignore alarms. Case in point, last week I was looking at a friend's 78 Buick that he had just bought. It was still at the place he bought it at and at that place was also a Cherokee with a Police / Private Security package. Well, my friend failed to notice the "protected by viper" sticker and opened the door. An alarm sounded for 15 minutes. Nobody called the police. Nobody confronted us. And we were basicly prowling around this lot at like 10:00 at night.
    Lojack and systems like that only find cars that already HAVE been stolen.
    The clu and things like that only help to keep your rig from being stolen and they don't do a very good job against real pros.
    Locks don't stop anyone that REALY wants to break into your rig. Glass can be broken easily.
    The best way to protect your valuables is to make them hard to see. Don't use fancy grills. Use stock looking ones. Keep valuables hidden. Basicly don't tempt thievs with "Kicker Impulse" stickers or "Bose Audio" stickers or sub boxes right in plain sight.
    If you were a thief would you break into every car that may or may not have something valuable in it, or would you break into the ones were you could see "Ohh! This guy's got a Pioneer Premieer 900 Head unit!".
    The only other thing I have to say it that for my speakers I only use small bolts or torx screws instead of flat head or phillips head screws bacause not everyone carries a socket wrench or torx wrench as opposed to a screwdriver. And when your top is off, any idiot can walk by and not even HAVE TO break in. They just have to reach in and grab. It makes things a LITTLE harder for them.

Hope this helps.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

6. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Yep, Blazer79, I saw that infomercial on TV, and I still think keeping Rufus (my Rottie) in the back is my best bet against losers trying to break in ! When my '76 K5 got broken into a few years ago, I had 2 protection devices that saved the vehicle from being stolen, a brake pedal-to-steering wheel lock AND the Club. No doubt they would have taken the vehicle if I didn't make it "difficult" for them. They gained entry by sneaking in through the worn-out weatherproofing on the windwing, opened the driver's door, opened the hood, disconnected the battery (to disable the alarm system), and then helped themselves to everything in the vehicle (mtn bike, Ugg boots, stereo, speakers, shaver, CD player, etc), and only left 2 Grateful Dead tapes ! Anyways, ANY protection device will "help" with making sure your vehicle stays put, just remember to install a "locking hood latch" (about $30.00) if you have an alarm on the vehicle... And, remember, Rotties are real thrilled when people mess with Daddie's truck ! Bark !! Bite !! I'm going to post (soon) an inquiry into "fuel shut-off" switches and "ignition kill" switches... probably what I'll be doing soon to the '85 K5... good luck !

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Use my approach, have a sticker on both side window reads as follows: ATTENTION THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS VEHICLE WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE OVER. THE OWNER OF THIS VEHICLE IS SKILLED WITH FIREARMS AND READY, WILLING TO USE THEM ALSO! And if that don't work theres always the pet rattlesnake on the floor board...White Knight

8. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

CLRR, huh? I knew there was a reason I never go to Texas. They're all crazy down there.
    (Just kidding!)

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

9. cars

cars Registered Member

With all the alarms and security systems out there I find if you just put in a $3.00 ignition kill switch under the dash somewhere it deters most thiefs. Time is very important to thief and if does not start up right away they will leave.

Had Mustang GT with factory alarm, stolen.
    Had 69 Chevy PU with simple kill $3.00 switch, worn out my battery the bums <grin>.

The truth of the matter is this, told to me by a locksmith and cop, if they want it they will get it no matter what alarm you got. So why spend the money on a alarm? Seems the ignition kill switch is so simply it is to hard for the car thief to figure out or waste his time looking around for it.

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

A thief will steal anything, not just expensive things. Granted it's better not to flaunt, but I've had a 10$ K-mart radar detector stolen out of one of my cars. Thiefs just suck.

I don't keep anything in my truck, 'cept for cheapo sunglasses and some cheap tools. I'm more concerned about the whole thing being stolen and getting it back all beat up or having it end up in a chop shop somewhere. Insurance will never cover the replacement.

I'm interested in doing that fuel-pump kill-switch. I like the idea of someone trying to steal it and the best they can do is to get it to turn over. I'm usually near my truck, so mr Glock will come out when I hear my truck turning over. (hmmm...protected by Glock stickers might not be a bad deterrant also!?)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com