Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop side windows - which to keep?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheAustrian, Feb 4, 2007.

1. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

I have two hardtops. One with the full glass side window and one with the sliding side window with new sliding side window seals. Which one would you keep? Is there really an advantage of the sliding side windows compared to the full glass type?

T.A.

2. 1983Blazerkid

1983Blazerkid Registered Member

i have the full glass. i think i would like to have the sliding if i had a choice but thats just me. so you could get more air in the back when you do have the top on when its warm out.but i guess it depends on what you want

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK mine had full glass and it was ok but hot in summer. I don't run with the rear window down because I want to live.

[​IMG]

I got mine and since my seals DID NOT leak I did not want to chance it by pulling them. So I keep the originals in.

[​IMG]

It was easy to do. If you decide to do it let me know. It is to darn cold out (-21 f Chill factor 4f) to go get some pics to help explain it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had a 91 parts blazer and I kick myself for not getting the sliding windows out of it...:doah:

5. TheAustrian

So you mean they are worth to change the windows from the hardtop? Because the hardtop I have now on the blazer (which I got recently) has full glass. How difficult is it to change the glasses?

6. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would go with full glass. "I have sliders on my blaze. They leak and are easy to break-in too.

Ray

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

It's easy. Just pull the center out of your molding, and push the window out (from the inside out). Then put the molding back with the new siders. Last is to put the center peice back into the molding. It's the same for the windsheild. I would do it when it's warm out, and might want some lube to help it strech over.

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go back to solids unless I broke a slider. (I kept my solids just incase)

9. TheAustrian

well, in my case I would have to go back to slides since the current hardtop has full glass. Further in Austria it is usually not so hot, max. 35° celsius and my truck has aircon. Also I heard from some others already that the slides tend to leak...

10. Metrodps

All side glass in these are easy to break into Ray! Brick, or just pull the locking rubber! I will go look for the thread I had about doing this.

As for worth changing look at my pics make its a whole different truck. I like it feel a little less fish bowl. Also gives me a little less eye shopping to see what I have inside.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  11. Metrodps

Found it you can modify this as he had sliders that leaked but it gives you the ideal

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

My sliders don't leak at all. They came from a 76 out of a junk yard. As for breaking into them, Ever thought about your door vent windows, priity easy to get in though then. I don't even lock my K5. I figure that i rather have someone open the door, rather han break a window or slash a soft top. It happened to me already. Nice info Metrodps!

13. Metrodps

I had t tops in my z-28 and everyone was like yours don't leak? I sprayed silicone on the rubber seals from when they were new. On my sliders I sprayed the felt and made sure the little drain holes were clear.

If your sliders leak check the drain holes. If your felt is bad replace it.
    SIDE WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP / BLAZER / JIMMY Part#75968
    http://www.cheyennepickup.com/

I posted about this site before but people miss it it has a boat load of hard to find things. EVEN the latches for sliders!

14. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I checked that site out last time you posted it. It's sweet, thanx.:D

15. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

In response to what Metrodps said i was just wondering why is it bad to drive with the rear window down

16. Metrodps

Because it sucks the exhaust in. My pipes come out just behind the rear tires to the sides. I have heard others say the same also.

17. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Because of your exhaust coming in. When driving there is a back pressure tha sucks it in. Try it with your other windows closed, then open you will see the difference. I had a oil burning K5 that I was ready to die in since the back window would not go up. Its not bad with the top off.

18. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

o ok thanks for the info i never realy thought about that it makes sense

19. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

THe sliding ones are a lot heavier, cant really imagine why there'd be such a difference but compare with my buddies full glass from a '78 and my '77 sliders mine is significantly heavier...but then again who needs a top anyways

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had both, our climate is similar, not worth it IMO.

They leak, parts are harder to get (and there are way more) the wing windows loosen up, the screws holding them together are steel and the frame is aluminum (so they won't come out if you need to try and fix the wing windows) and so on.

If they don't leak and work perfect, the sliders are fine. But driving with stock exhaust, door windows and tailgate down is also fine. Not much exhaust in as long as you don't allow the exhaust to linger inside the truck.