Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop...to softtop??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monsterbabyberl, Jan 5, 2005.

1. monsterbabyberl

monsterbabyberl Newbie

hey i wondered if any of you guys take their hardtop off for summer?

i got a 87 blazer and would luv to ride around town during summer without the top...

i heard that once u took it off its hard to get it tight and dry on again and it'll leak??

any ideas? do the softtops work? thanks and happy new year from berlin, germany

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No Top, No Doors, No worries....year round. :D

3. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I have taken mine off...a tip I got from here was to put vaseline on the rubber gaskets to keep them soft:confused: when you take it off. When you put it on, make sure to tighten the bolts to the cab first, then the bedrail bolts. I have had no leaks.

I also ran a soft top, loved it...would like to have another. Had to sell, needed the $$ at the time:( . It was the fasttrac type, not the snap type....

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The hardtops actually seal up pretty easily once they've been off. It's not a bad design in that regard. I've run without my hardtop every summer for the last 7 years, usually for as long as 3 or 4 months at a time.

Vaseline on the rubber gaskets does help a lot.

Rene

5. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

i have a 89, and the hardtop stays off in the summer. i have had it on and off several times, and it hasn't leaked a drop. i love my ragtop. it is a snap style that makes the blazer look like a swb pickup w/ a tonneau instead of a blazer. only fallback is it leaks in heavy rain, but if you have vinyl seats and no carpet it's not a problem.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I used to take mine off and put it back on a lot (our weather changes weekly). It never leaked on me. You can aslo use certain tire-shine amor all (for rubber) type stuff on the gasget to keep it usable. There is a special order to reinstall the topper and I reccomend you follow it to the 'T ' It should be in the owners manual.

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

use some sort of rubber treatment and they are fine one thought though is sometimes if a top has never been taken off the rubber gasket sticks and can tear so be careful

willow

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Been pulling mine off for 5 years from about March/April to Aug/Sept. When it is on I only use 4 bolts. I haven't put any thing on the seal and I've never had a problem with it leaking....ever.:dunno:

9. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Mine's off in the summer. it's a '73. The new gaskets/seals are available thru LMC. www.LMCtruck.com Not too expensive. No trouble with leaks here.

10. monsterbabyberl

monsterbabyberl Newbie

hey thanx guys

preciate it!

i do have carpet in the back though. so i will have to get something that ll keep it dry during summer months and we do have some rain here in germany..

so ill think about gettin that fasttrac softtop then...

11. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

I have one

I have a soft top and I love it. I used to take my hardtop on and off but it was too much of a pain, but it never did leak once. Trying to find someone to take my hardtop off my hands.