Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hardtop weight....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Do all hardtops (besides full convertable) weigh the same? Some of my friends sya they can take it off with two peple and one guy cna do it himself.... it takes 3 people for me... and its still heavy! Im wondering if mine is just exceptionally heavy!? Did thye make diff type of tops or anything? Thanks.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Maybe you are just exceptionally weak.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif no these things are heavy...I did it myself once by making a ramp of the tailgate and then balanced the top on my back/shoulders and walked down the ramp...It is easiest with three though...

Chris

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've always used 2 to get it off and 3 to get it on...
    but thats what works for me, i'm not a big guy and neither are my friends, they curse me everytime it goes back on...

for one person to get it on when its on a flat ground without some mechanical help seems a bit off to me, unless thats one huge guy..

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lol it only takes wind to take mine off. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no telling derek. lol. later.

jacob

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My hardtop with slider windows weighed 188 lbs. I have removed and re-installed the top myself, no pulleys or other mechanical aids. Am I a big guy? Not really, 5'10 1/2" and about 155 soaking wet...

I have dropped my top more than once, cursed, etc etc and now I call my neighbor over cuz it's just so much easier with two people. The weight is not bad...it's just such an awkward thing to move around.

Rene

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My hardtop with slider windows weighed 188 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
    In the ORD site they say the top wieghs over 300 lbs. There has to be two defferent types then because Rene and Stephen ussually know what they are talking about, and that is a pretty big defference.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

lolol jacob... my lips are sealed... anyway... Yeah its one heavy pos... im thinking of going soft top, but its so expensive... im thinking if i take off my top and my heavey @ss tailgate, that would be a 2 in" lift for my rear end haha.
    Thanks guys

8. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Every job on your truck is a one-man job. I have a full convertible and it weights roughly 600,000 lbs. I put a pulley system in the ceiling of the garage and put a 2x4 under the front, then get a 6' ladder in the back. I then drive the truck out of the garage.

I think it would be a bad idea to drop the top, however /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you have friends (I don't seem to have any), it would be a better idea to get some help.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

2 to take it off... 3 to put it back on... Plus a six pack...

10. tRustyK5

I believe the 300 lbs refers to the full convertable top, but even that seems high. I've had 4 K5's, 1 is a full convertable, and I've had a total of 6 different half tops. All of the half tops I've had seem to weigh about the same amount give or take a few pounds for side glass difference. The full convertable top is a two person lift for sure though.

A 42 lb soft top is much easier to deal with...

Rene

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Bunch of WIMPS!
    I take the top off by myself and put it back on by myself on my 75! No pullys just me. I back my truck up to a retaining wall in my yard and get that pig on my back and walk it off.
    Then I spend the next week compaining about my back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you just need to use a large dose of steroids first /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    (Pretend Schwarzenegger is saying this)
    OLD DAWG

13. tRustyK5

Bunch of WIMPS!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif whatever...Mr. Soft-top! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ya and good to have a couple roommates there to help too I bet! They helped me unload that frame for you and it has to be heavier than a blazer top... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have always found that more people helps not as much because of the weight, but primarily because of the bulk, awkwardness and the height (the sides of my bed are roughly shoulder-level). One time I got mine off by myself by getting under it in the bed and lifting it on my back and walking to the edge of the tailgate. Only problem was what to do then! Scrtached the hell out of the sides of my rig when I decided to jump down with the roof still on my back!! Not recommended!!!!

I figure that when I get rid of my hard top, full roof rack, spare tire, 60" hi-lift, and all my lights that all mount on the top, I will be shedding around 5-600 lbs and really lowering my center of gravity. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

whatever...Mr. Soft-top!

[/ QUOTE ] I want a soft top !!!!!

17. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey derek just make a soft top. go to some boat shops for materials. shouldn't be that hard and not that expensive. oh and build a roll cage too. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no but seriously it shouldn't be that hard to make a soft top. later.

jacob

18. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I removed mine a week after I bought my 75 blazer, and did it myself by laying on my back and had my feet in the air to lift up and slide the top back, then I slowly/quickly slide it off,sliped and slid sidways damaging the side of the truck..........the same day I was hit by a full size ford f-250 head on! I drove home "thank you warn bumper" it saved most my truck but the frame was tweeked. Thats what started the build up! BAD LUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I might sell mine, like new and inside the house, all parts and manual although I doubt anyone's price would make up for the pain involded in getting a full size top 63 inches up to the truck. They are awsome although my truck isn't even done yet, the new, just got on saterday 38.5 tsl's do make a nice step though! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. I'm a wimp so I need a soft top !!