Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop window pics.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Dose anyone have any pictures (close-up) of the hardtop WITHOUT the windows in them? I would like to see how the window, seals, and opening fit together.

Thanks.

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't provide pics, but hopefully others can corraborate what I'm about to say. Not sure why you need the info, so if only pictures will do, sorry.

The side windows are held in exactly the same way the windshield is, if you've had that out. The window frame is "pinched" where the gasket/window sits. The pinched area under the gasket that you can't see is about 1/2" tall. Basically, the top narrows down to a knife edge where the gasket seats.

I'm assuming this is done to keep the gasket thick, yet fairly unobtrusive to the inside or outside.

Gasket is "H" shaped if you cut it from inside to outside. The upper portion of the H is where the window sits, the lower portion is what sits on the pinched window frame portion, and the lace(think that's what it's called) is forced into the outside of the gasket to wedge the gasket firmly against the glass and top.

4. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a top off an 87 with the side window out. Should be able to get a couple of pics this evening after work.

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I've come-up with a idea, but perfer to see how it works before I take mine apart.

6. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a few pics. Not sure if they will help and I also have to figure out to post'em.