Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtopper Insulation questions/ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Nov 29, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Was wondering if anyone had considered "insulating" their hard top...??? I'm trying to figure out a way to do this that would look plush...Anyone have any ideas???...With winter here its rather cold in the mornings.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've thought about using closed-cell foam, about 1/2 inch thick as the padding under some type of headliner. That stuff insulates pretty well. Attaching it all would be tricky, but I think if you used very short screws you could get away with screwing into the cross braces in the top. The rest of the top is pretty thin.

I've even been considering gluing some of that foam to the inner fenders, behind the interior trim on the sides. It would make it more comfy and a bit quieter. Since the foam is closed-cell, it won't soak up water if you happen to get in a bit too deep. [​IMG]

I've bought a couple of el-cheapo camping pads at Walmart that are made with closed-cell foam and are just the right size to do the side panels. They were only a few bucks each.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Just turn up the heater.....sorry had to be a smartass

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

you could get it sprayed with polyurethane foam then cover it with a head liner of some sort and run small screws in to the foam to hold up the head liner

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

5. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

What sort of foam were you thinking about? I know there is that stuff they use for housing use...but it isnt very controlable...

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I isulated my top for the summers in AZ. I used the isulation that has the silver heat isulation on one side. I cut 3 peices to fit between the braces in the top. I then glued them to the top. Followed by placing a 1/4" compressed board rounded to fit the inside ridge. Then I covered it in grey tweed and screwed it to the cross braces and a couple of other ridges. Remember to have a buddy help, and drill small pilot holes first, then use screws. If you don't use a pilot hole the screw will pull out of the old tops. It cut down on the summer temp inside a lot(the truck is all Black)
    I also used the same silver sided insulation inside the rear panels followed by the thick house insulation and covered with the panels

Hope it helps
    Michael

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine lined his topper with auto motive carpet. Looks sweet and cut down road noise. Don't know how much it would affect the temp.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    You could look into some of the suburbans. There were options that some had heaters/ac units in the rear.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

the foam I was talking about is sprayed in like bedliner and made out of the same stuff when it is sprayed it foams up then get hard like polystiren foam (stirofoam) you could push you finger truh it but it is hard a nuff to hold a screw you can get it in a can a lowes it is called great stuff but it would trun out better if it was done by a pro

it is not that ichey stuff in the top of your house they have not started to put it houses till a few years ago. Once it has dryed it will be smooth.

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Go to an Upolstry shop and tell them what you are wanting to do and see what the would recommend. Obviously their idea will be more expensive, but it will help open your mind to different ideas, then you can inter twine them with your inard "BLAZER" spirit and whaalaa!!
    I think the easiest way is to glue the shiny installation stuff they sell at Home Depot nad cut it with a carpet knife, tehn what ever after that for looks. Ajimmy Hendrix poster would be awesome. See I just got an idea!!!!

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"