Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HARDTOPS!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Purs, May 5, 2000.

1. Purs

Purs Registered Member

Me and my brother are going to attempt to remove our hardtops tommorrow. I have a '72 Jimmy and he has a '66 Bronco (poor guy). Anyway, is there any absolute no-no's or "be sure to....". Thanks in advance.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

According to the owners manual you should make a brace out of a peice of wood to tie the sides together so that it doesn't warp( one front one rear). I took the roof off my 75 and just set it on some cinder blocks for a few months and really didn't have a problem. Took some pushing to get it lined up but nothing major. My bud with a 72 does the same thing and I don't think he had anny problems either.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Speaking of storage! I had my 72 Hardtop leaning against the wall in my garage for bout 1 1/2yrs and then it came time to move so had to remount it! And guess what the top is WARPED and it doesn't line up on one side for the bed rail bolts! Had to oval out the holes every other one. So to store it for long periods it would be a good idea to keep it flat like it was still mounted!
    Good luck and get as many buds you can to help its HEAVY!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

For storage I wonder if you could make like a plywood template for the bottom and front, bolt the top to it so it cannot warp?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have a '74 with a full top. I have had it setting on the ground, driveway and hangin' from the rafters by ropes with no
    (apparent) adverse effects. My top is pretty "loosey goosey" in the area around the seams.....don't know if that helps or not, but it always goes back on just fine! Only thing better than a Blazer is a topless one! IMO

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I made a "rack" to hold my top while it was off my truck. It only took four 4X4's (posts, not trucks!) and two 2X6's, one on each side. I just back my truck between the posts, get in the back seat, hold the front of the shell up with one hand while I slide a 2X4 under the shell on top of the 2X6's. I then get on the tailgate and do the same for the rear of the shell. Sometimes if my wife is available she slides the 2X4's under the shell which allows me to hold the shell with two hands instead of one. It is HEAVY, but it can be done very easily if you have an inexpensive rack.

Chevy's RULE!

7. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Re: Hard Top Rack

If one of you guys could post pictures of such a rack, that would be great......Thinking of getting a soft top for my 90, just need to store the hard top without damaging it.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"