Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harley or Buell?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigRed87, Jan 2, 2003.

1. BigRed87

BigRed87 Registered Member

My mom finally told me when i can afford a bike i can buy one and i'm lookin at either a HD sportster 1200 or a buell of similar price. Believe it or not i've been seeing numerous newer lightnings for prices that are very close to those of the Sportsters. What do you think? There have to be some other harley(/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) fans here to help me along. Thanks!
    John ( http://trax.to/offroad )

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I like both of them. A buddy of mine owns the local harley shop and I'm constantly drooling over the lightning and the Deuce (MMmmmmm Deuce /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). Anyway, The buell is going to be more performance orriented and the Sportster will be more for cruising. But if your looking at these I'm sure you already knew that didn't you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

If it were between a Sportster 1200 and a Lightning, I would get the lightning. If it were between the Lightning, Low rider or Deuce. I would get the Deuce, but then again the Deuce is 16k.

If your a big guy I'd stear clear of the sporster. I'm 6'2 225 and I feel and look like I'm gonna break the sportsters when I get on one. Ok.. enough rambling.. Get the lightning and add a race kit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

A guy I work with has the Sportster. He has put every thing on it you could think of, but when it's next to a bigger Harley it looks wimpy and kinda girlish (no offence Ladys). I just don't have the heart to tell the guy. I would rather see him make a fool of him self thinking he's all that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been into Harleys for most of my life. To be honest, I'd really like a Buell. I'd say you should test drive the bikes you're intrested in, and get the one you like best.

5. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

IMO, Sportsters are for chicks /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and you can't really impress the ladies on one either /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

If you can't afford a bigger HD (the Deuce is nice, but what's up with that back fender?), go for the Buell...

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I've got a XLH with a 1200 kit. It was great for when i was still learning, but it feels really small now. The straight pipes keep me intrested for now, but I have my eye on a Dyna wide glide. Lightnings are cool, but the whole laying on the tank with your feet behind you didn't seem comfortable for long rides. Go to a dealer and ride them both, see what feels right.

7. BigRed87

Thanks for the help. I was kind of leaning towards a buell as well mostly because the only chance i'd have at gettin a big cruiser would be Ebay and that's not even a good chance.(my dad has a 99 fatboy and i love it but they it takesto many $$$ to get one!) I'm about 6' and i forget who said the sportster was small for them but when i sat on one in the dealer it did feel a little cramped but put upable. But i'm about to turn 16 (so i have a good chance at growing more then 6') and after i take this welding class i'm getting a job at the AFB here and they start at 25 an hour, so i can't wait. BTW, lightnings almost have a standard riding position, pegs arn't really that far back and all, cuz it's more of a naked bike than the sport bike...

8. nofeartruckin00

Maybe it was the Firebolt that had the controls further back, I can't remember to tell you the truth. I'm 6', and one thing that helps with the sportsters would be forward controls. I have the mid-controls now, and after shifting or braking I always go to the front pegs to stetch out my legs. What ever you do, get what makes you happy, because they are all $$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif , but the exhaust makes up for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BigRed87

Yep you said it best, the HD exaust note and being able to say "I ride a harley product" just makes it worth the extra $$$$ you pay for not buying a yamaha and actiing like ur as cool as the harley dude, lol.

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

get the sportster strech and rake, forward controls, bore it to 1341 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifif thts a girls harley then call me sally sportster and kiss my arse

it doesn't matter if its a harley you will catch chit no matter what! stock pipes,2 much chrome or my favorite
    thats a cute bike my daughter has 1 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBITE ME!!!

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

In a way the Buell is a "Harley product" Maybe not pure harley but the motor at least. I'm telling ya if you like the sound get the Race kit for the buell. My buddy's harley shop put one on the bike and it gave it quite a bit more power and the exhaust sounded just like a harley. It was strange but extremely awesome hearing a rumble from a sport bike.

12. nofeartruckin00

One of the mechanics at Hal's has a X1 with a race kit. You look around for this big chopper comin at ya, but then you realize the sound is coming from the buell. Pretty sweet stuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BigRed87

I couldn't have said it better then you guys, ridin down the street filling it with that big twin rumble on a sporty bike with that nice street fighter look....*drool*

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a Low Rider and my wife has a XLH custom... I like the Harley's myself. Ride each one and find out what you prefer. Sporster's are a bit small for a long cruise, but I have friends that do it. Accesories are available to make them comfy.

John