Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harmanic Balancer bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Feb 11, 2005.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I just replaced my harmonic balancer on my 6.2. I know I need to torque the bolt to 200FT/LB but do I need to use any thread lock or anti sieze?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I would...

I dont know if its reccomended,but I would but some threadlocker on the bolt threads,being a diesel they like to vibrate everything loose--but dont use the killer "green" locktite if you ever want to get the bolt off again!--and I wouldnt put any on the crankshaft or the dampers I.D.--its ok to do it on a small block that has no bolt(or one that has a broken bolt in the crank!),but I dont think its nessasary--I could be wrong though!---and 200 ft lbs?? that sounds like a lot of torque for a bolt that size!--are you sure thats the right spec??:confused:

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Got this from the tread:

140-162 ft. lbs on 82-84 models, and 200 ft. lbs on 85 and newer models. I'm not sure why the different specs. I don't think there's any difference in the parts between these years, but I think that GM decided to make that bolt tighter in 85. So I believe that 200 ft. lbs is the recommended spec for all engines now.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111136