Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

harmonic balancer fluid??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I just recently noticed a leak on my engine (350) that appears to be engine oil, but I have no idea where it is coming from. The bottom of the water pump is covered in oil as well as the cross member under the engine and the oil is dripping down the lower radiator hose from the water pump. The tranny lines are not leaking, plus the oil is dark brown not red, it does not appear to be coming from the power steering as most of the pump is dry, and there is no sign of the engine leaking anywhere even by the timing chain cover and intake and heads. The only thing I can think of is that the harmonic balancer has fluid in it and this has leaked out and is getting thrown on the other things when the engine is running. The harmonic balancer was new 3 years ago when I put in the crate engine, I believe I got it straight from GM, nothing fancy. Any ideas on where the fluid is coming from?

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Possibly the timing chain cover or the front seal on the cover. Clean it up real good with a power washer and degreaser then look for the leak.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

my tranny fluid was dark brown when i last changed it, that's good right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Unless you installed a fluid damper there is no fluid in a harmonic balancer. The first place to look if it is a SBC is the lower right hand corner (passenger side) there are 2 bolt holes in the front of the block one above the other, the upper hole must have a short (1/2") bolt installed in it or oil will leak from that hole. This hole is used for holding the fuel pump pushrod up while installing a new fuel pump. Most people overlook this when trying to chase a leak. Now if this leak just started then I doubt this is your problem since it would have leaked from day one.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check your fan clutch. Not a lot of fluid, but if the seals fail, it will leak out. Do a search for testing on this board.

6. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

A Long Shot here, but...

I've had a lot of Small Block Chevys in my time and only seen this happen once... The stock harmonic balancer is made of an inner hub wrapped in a rubber ring, then a copletely separate outer metal cast ring on top of that. Over time, the outer hub can rotate on the inner hub and throw off your timing mark... But anyways, I actually had one where the outer ring came off completely, and it can only go backwards toward the engine since the crankshaft pulley keeps it from going off the front (Thank God!) It slid back and ground completely through the timing cover. When it did so, it slung oil all over the front of the engine, making it nearly impossible to tell where it was coming from. The 'giveaway' was when I was under there with a flashlight trying to find the leak, and I noticed the back of the balancer was 'freshly machined' shiny metal instead of rusty or greezy. I doubt this is it, but it happened to me once... Probably worth a look while you're under there swearing and trying to find the leak anyways...

Cheers,
    Scott