Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harmonic Balancer install help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to figure out how far this thing is gonna go on. When the balancer is fully installed, will it snug up against the crank sprocket?
    Thanks in advance for helping!

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

It will bottom out on the crank but im not sure what to torque the bolt at unless you have a 327 that was produced before 68 (I think thats right?) on thoese you just get a block of wood and a BF hammer and hit it on as far as it goes.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

Don't use a hammer! It will wreck the main bearings in the engine. If you are using the correct install tool, when it stops sliding on the crank is when you should stop. Don't force it. Make sure that the key on the crank is lined up with the notch in the balancer, too.
    The one on the 305 in my Monte Carlo went on all the way to the timing cover, but it was much thinner than the one I put on the 350. There is a gap between the cover and the balancer now, so I had a mechaninc look at it and he said it was correct. When I did mine, I thought it should have gone on further, so I kept cranking on the install tool. I ended up stripping the threads in my crank and the threads on the installer. That was a stupid expensive lesson I learned there.

Brian

1985 K5 Blazer

4. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Brian's right!!! DONT USE A HAMMER!!!! I did this to my 87 and my motor began to knock after I installed the new balancer. It only had about 15,000 miles on the new motor at the time and now it knocks to this day. The balancer was tough to put on so I used some anti-seiz on the crank and on the inside of the new balancer and a Blue Point installer to get mine on. If I'm not mistaken I think the proper torque for the bolt was only about 65 ft.lbs. I can double check that in my Chiltons if you need me to. Let me know.

5. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

When I installed mine, I kept on until the pulleys were aligned perfectly. Since they were properly aligned before I removed the old one and both balancers were the same size; I deduced that my logic must be correct. by the way, it has been two years and no problems.

Tom

6. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Ask GM on howw to but a balancer on a 65' 327 smalljournal. They'll tell ya how right I am.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

7. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Check your chilton on a small journal 327 and see how right I am. Cuz theres no bolt that goes intothe crank its not threaded the balancer is a press fit.

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I used a 40 oz. hammer to install mine with a wood block, and a brass hammer... I found out later this was a big no no, but no problems so far (knock on wood)... [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

9. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I've been using a rubber mallet, but I did give a few good whacks with a block of wood and a hammer! Hope I didn't screw anything up! I took the balancer back to the parts store and they ordered me another one (3502) plus a different one (3504). Don't know what the difference is but hopefully I'll have it all worked out tomorrow. Thanks everybody, for all the info.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Those very-early crank are not tapped for harmonic balancer bolt because they were indeed early models and they hadn't learned thier lessons.
    Gm saw the error of its ways and driled and tapped it from at least '70 on.
    In case anyone's interested, GM also didn't cast in an oil-pump boss on the 55 and 56 blocks. They also figured out that was a bad idea and all blocks after that have that provision.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>