Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harmonic Balancer Install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, May 22, 2006.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Mar 5, 2005
    I seem to be leaking oil at the front seal (timing cover) on my '73 K-5 (350/350). The timing cover and seal are new (edelbrock) as is the balancer. I oiled the seal before install. I'm wondering if the balancer is not installed all the way. I used an installer and pushed the balancer in as far as I felt comfortable going with it. The gap between the balancer and the timing cover is approximately 3/8".

I'm embarassed about posting such a basic question but it's the only thing I can think of that might be causing the leak.
  2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Apr 17, 2004
    When a Harmonic Damper is seated all the way, the valley inside the Harmonic Damber should be flush with the crank, thus allowing the large Harmonic Damper washer to sit flush against the crank. Did you trial fit the seal on the sleeve of the Harmonic Damper before you installed it. I learned this the hard way once, when I had the same problem as you. It turned out the seal was the wrong inner diameter, and I crush the seal as it went in.