Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harmonic Balancer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Aug 21, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Well, I tried to ime my engine with the timing light, and i seems as though something is seriously wrong, the marks are no even close...Vacuum is plugged for the dist.
    I move he disributer to bring the mark close, and the ruck runs like [darn],
    he harmonic balance is only a couple weeks old...
    What could be wrong besides a defective balancer?
    Eddie

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get number 1 on tdc and see if the marks are close. If they're not then the balancer is wrong or built bad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

the balancer is built wrong?
    eddie

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unlikely but if the outer ring isn't bonded on in the right place the marks will be out. I bent a rod once that stopped the motor so quick that the outer ring broke the bonding and spun round several degrees.

5. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

It was a new harmonic balancer last month.
    Who knows??
    Eddie

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have been having problems with this truck for a while. I am sure it is something basic like the distributor is not installed correctly, the timing chain is not lined up correctly, the harmonic damper has been installed without the woodruff key that lines it up properly, or something basic that you are not familiar with. If I lived close to you I would come over and get your truck going for you, but I live in Nevada. Too bad there is not somebody on this web site that lives close to you that could come over and get your truck going for you.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are also muliple different sizes of balancers, and if you have the wrong one, it'll never time right....

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get number 1 on tdc and see if the marks are close.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This will verify if you have a problem with the balancer. There are a couple of different sized balancers, But the timing marks should still line up. unless this is one of those funky 305's used in the mid 70's that had the timing marks straight up. WHICH i hope it's not!!
    If the timing mark matches T.D.C. then maybe your cam is off. why did you replace the Balancer? or was the engine rebuilt? sorry i don't know the history here!!

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Replaced the harmonic balancer because I took it into the shop for something minor, thy removed the pulleys, and stripped the bolt holes, and I did no find out for a while...So I decided to put a new one on. The old balancer timing marks lined up. hat is why i think I bought a defective balancer...Heard of stranger things.
    Eddie

10. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

The timing marks lined up before changing the harmonic balancer...I think Ive even timed it since the new distributer was put in.
    It is running good, im just a perfectionist...I like the power, and good mileage..hee hee
    if the distributer was in wrong, the and the marks were correct, it would NEVER run where he light lights up...It is off by like 40-50 degrees. I have heard a rumor that there may have been a chevy that had a different balancer, on the opposite side that we are used to, knowing my luck, this is true, and I have that balancer.
    Eddie

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

in the late 70's there were some 305's and I hear that some 350's that the timing mark was actually pointing almost straight up, the timing tab was behind the water pump. But if you set the engine to "true" top dead center, and the marks line up to the "normal" marks than thats not the problem

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

kinda a dumb question but are you sure you have the wire on the number one plug wire?

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had this exact same problem. The engine was swapped in just before I bought the truck. I really don't know why the marks don't line up, but they don't. It's like the balances is set up for the timing tab to be on the other side of the engine.

I fixed it by dropping the oil pan and getting #1 right at TDC and then applying a strip of timing tape from Summit. You just have to measure the diameter of your balancer. With this, you don't even need a dial timing light.

14. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

At least i dont feel dumb now...I have a weird feeling that the balancer was built wrong.

15. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Yes, I made sure, I thought that maybe my 1 and 8 were backwards, have checked and rechecked MANY times.
    Eddie

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

gm made manby different dampners over the years,

6.25", 8", different widths, timing marks in different palce, many different timing tabs and locatiosn on the timing cove,r some bolted on back in the early 70s and before, and most later ones were tack welded to the cover,

youll have to get dampner for the specific year make model of timing cover you have,

ikf the timing cover is original to the engine lbock then get the stamping code off the front of the engine and decode it at nastyz28.com sbc numbers suffix codes section to find out original application and HP and such of the engine

17. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Ive been told by an old timer, mechanic here in own that this engine year had only one place for timing...I think no one really has a clue, and that if i runs, ill leave it how it is... Maybe when i put he BBC into it this winter, it will be better.
    Thanks for everyones input, see you in the mud.
    Eddie