Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

harmonic balancer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I recently purchased a GM's 330 HP 350. Along with it I bought all the parts I would have to have to make the swap. All was well until I went to but the harmonic balancer on, to find that I could only get it part of the way on. It still lacks about a quarter of an inch from seating fully onto the crank. Any ideas on why the thing won't go all the way on, or ways to make it fit right. The way I tried to get it on was by using the crankshaft bolt and washer and tightening it with a impact wrench. Well at the point were the impact stopped working I used a wrench with a cheater, and all I did was bend the washer, which is like 3/16 to a 1/4 of an inch thick. I pulled it back off to make sure I had it lined up right, and it did the same exact thing the second time I tried to install it. I lubed it and everything, so its not lack of lubrication. Give me your thoughts on this one. Thanks for the help

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The harmonic dampner will only go on until it hits the lower timing chain gear. Depending on whether you have a single or double row timing chain or gear drive, that distance will vary. Just install it untill it seats against the crank gear and you'll be fine. You might also want to check the alignment of your pully's as well.

I would not recommend using the bolt to "press" the dampner on the crank, unless you like stripped threads. I learned the hard way a while back. Use the proper tool, you'll be glad you did /forums/images/icons/grin.gif