Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harmonic Damper/Crate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Dec 17, 2001.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Just received the 350 CRATE, and I want to install a new damper.... Can someone give my insight on dampers..??
    I was looking at "fluidampr", ATI, and one mechanic suggest "pioneer"...
    Whats the best for this application: 350 Stock, MSD, Headers, Flows, K&N, -- Truck will be light/med 4x4....and looking for 'longevity"..............
    Thanks.............

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Since you're all new and looking for longevity (and who wouldn;t after dropping those bills on a crate) why not go with a Streetdampyr. They are not race approved, but you're not Indy racing. A bit less than the FLuiddampyr but I hear they are good. I have not personally run one though.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless you're planning to run the motor at very high RPM's, the stock GM damper will work just fine and costs much less than any of the "boy racer" type dampeners. Lots of small blocks live for 200K+ miles with the stock damper. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

how do you tell if one is good or bad and when installing it how far do you push it on?

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

stock will be fine unless you are spinning it out to 6000. my 400 has 200k+ miles bone stock long block, never left me stuck...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd go ahead and spring for a new one, since you've already sunk some serious change into the engine itself. [​IMG] It's rare that they fail, but look closely at the rubber between the inner and outer rings. If the rubber is rotted, then you have to wonder how much longer it will last.

How far to push it on? As fas as the installer tool will get it onto the crank. DO NOT HAMMER IT ON!!!! You'll need to rent or buy the correct tool to install the damper. Hammering it onto the crank can damage the thrust bearing surface and you'll be out one new engine in a very short time. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

My crate came with a new one.. Yours didn't???
    I bought the 12530283 96 Vortec from pace.

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

8. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

the way one of my friends told me to do it was just to use the bolt that holds the damper on put a washer on it and crank it down just make sure it doesnt hit the timeing cover?

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the way one of my friends told me to do it was just to use the bolt that holds the damper on put a washer on it and crank it down just make sure it doesnt hit the timeing cover?

<hr></blockquote>
    That's a good way to strip out the threads in the end of the crank shaft. Rent the RIGHT tool. Yes the tool still thread into the crank but it threads in with no load and gets FULL engagement. Then the tool has heavy threads on in that push the ballancer on.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

This 350ci crate didnt come with a damper and I hear ya about the price.. I didnt realize how expensive the after market's are.... How much is the stock damper????.. AND..would a 'better' damper (fluid etc..) be better for the motor from a vibration standpoint OR am I just looking for something thats not there??????????????

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!