Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harsh effects of mouthwash?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 22, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ever have any harsh effects from mouth wash?

Last few nights I've had a little blood when I brush my teeth. Of course thats not a crazy thing seeing as I scrub my gums a little as I should. But 2 nights ago I didn't scrub them hard at all, and when I spit out my toothpaste, the saliva came out bloody. I mean like nosebleed, run down the back of your throat, full on blood. It wasn't coming from my stomach or throat as best I could tell but I could NOT identify the source. I didn't even hit a tender spot or hurt myself at any point while brushing. Last night was a little pink again(little more then the usual gum thing). This morning I was sitting in class and felt something odd in my mouth. I moved it with my tongue and realized it was skin off my gums. I pulled it off and confirmed it was just that.

Now the reason I say this is, I just switched to a new mouth wash a few weeks ago. Its Listerine(which I've always used) but its a pre-brushing whitening stuff. Only thing I can figure that is causing this stuff is the mouth wash. It doesn't even burn the gums or tongue as much as the normal mouth wash is the odd thing. But it foams up big time.

So again, anyone ever had a similar situation and figure it to be mouthwash or something else? I don't chew tobacco(did very very infrequently a while back but not for a long time) and I very rarely smoke(had one this past week which was probably the first in 6 months).

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I would suggest discontinuing the mouthwash for a few days to see if the problem clears up. If so, then don't use that mouthwash again :)

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe your allergic to some of the ingredients?and you ate something that cut your gum a little and did not realize it??i'd take shewies advice and stop and see. by the by did the whitening part start working?i use the orange flavor listerine myself.i like regular listerine better,less pasty after rinsing.i'm almost addicted to the burning sensation.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my mom has the orange stuff. I think its crap. No burning sensation means its not working to me. And yes the whitening has been working. A little bit anyway. Been using a whitening toothpaste as well. I brush daily but my teeth just stay a slight yellow all the time. After dealing with the burning for so long I think its not working unless it burns. The whitening mouthwash stays with you more then brushing. Takes a while longer to loose the taste of toothpaste and mouthwash.