Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has any one Cut there doors like this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of doing this with my extra set of doors. Any advise or sugestions would be great. If any one has a templet of the the metal used to fill the void i would love a copy. What gage metal should i use for the filler? I also want to keep enough door in the front to be able to put a mirrior on the door.
    [​IMG]

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Why have any doors at all? You can mount your mirrors on the back of the front fenders.

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

just be nice to have a little lip so stuff does not fall out the door openings, and i dont want to drill any holes in the fenders. I also just like the look

Bigmeats

[​IMG]

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Making a template would be easy...after you cut the doors take a piece of cardbord put it up to the hole and trace. Cut it out and make a sheet copy with tabs or whatever you are going to use to attach it. I would use the same gauge as the doors. Measure it when you make the cut. As for cutting the doors just make your measurements where you like them trace them out on the door. Stand back and make sure you like it. then cut...Since you have an extra set you dont have much to loose. I dont know if your extra set are the removable upper frame type, but those are getting a little rare, you might want to cut a later style

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

5. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

That looks sic! I wanna do that. Is it street legal? Whose rig is that? They obviously love their sawzall!!

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Oh yeah, as soon as I get another daily driver those are mine, with a set from the junk yard of course. I think they look much better than with no doors at all and they be be legal, I think you have to have a certain height from the floor thats why Jepps can get away with no doors because they have a 5 or 6" lip at the bottom.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The truck belongs to Toby Harrell of San Angelo, TX #67 in the TTC.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

looks to me like the front seat passenger wants to lose a hand.NEVER EVER grab the rollbar,thats what OH SHIZNIT!handles are for.if ya aint got em get em!!!ok the truck,i love the doors too.almost made a set for my cherokee(after i got"bored"at work one day and decided i wanted to go topless)hehehe!!man was my wife stunned,she just looked at it w/ an open mouth babbleing somethin,pointed at me and said and i quote"im callin your mom"hahahahaha!!!!!

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those look cool. I'd go with a pretty heavy gauge steel for the filler, at least where you know people will be stepping to get in and out of the truck. You know the doors won't actually get opened very often! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Due to my laziness, I've thought about cutting a piece of 1 x 4 or so to fit in the gap so I don't loose stuff out the doors. I've been to lazy to even do that, though.

As an interesting side note, in Colorado, you are not required to have side mirrors IF you have a clear, unrestriced view out the rear (ie open top K5). From my experience, it'd be nice to at least have one on the passenger side.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

i ahve a set done that use all the door hinging and latches they ahvea hidden door so you can open the little dorr and get to a leaver to open the big door there not ahrd to make will give any body these doors for $10 bucks + shiping i live in washington state i jsut dont like them so i want to get rid of them

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Bandit, I'll take those off yer hands! I'm just North of you in B.C.
    I'll be heading down to Oregon next weekend, maybe we could hook up?

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

13. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Got pics? If trusty bails I'm in your neck of the woods and I'm interested.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

How bout these? Yes, I know that's an awsome bazer and I don't have any more info on it. I wanna make doors like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://sidslc.coloradok5.com/photo.html>http://sidslc.coloradok5.com/photo.html</A> for more awsome pics. If you have a slow connection, it'll take a looong time for the pics to load, but it's worth the wait.

[​IMG]

15. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey chevy4x4, thats what I plan on doing when I get my k5! Looks bad a$$ Not to mention the sweet paintjob!

- SlyDog [​IMG]

16. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's what I plan on doing too! 6 inches of lift, 38s,39, or 40s, trimmin, camo, the neon green hightlights(or whatever you wanna call them) 1 ton stuff,....the usual. I almost fell of my chair when I first saw it. It's almost exactly what I wanna build.

[​IMG]

17. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

ill take some pictures of them on monday there at the shop so monday night ill try and get figure out my new scanner =-)

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

18. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up on that Sidslc K5, that is cool. Has it been feature of the month yet? If not, somebody should let Mr.ColoradoK5 know bout that one......

Regarding the doors, a guy in the hood has a K5 with doors made of square tubing, 2x2 or so. Let me see if I can describe them. It has a full length on the hinge side with hinges welded to it, and a full length top rail not quite at full height. The bottom starts at the hinge side and angles up to the top back, kinda a triangle looking thing. It looks pretty good. However, the latch is hokey barn door thing, so that needs some help...

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

19. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I want to do this to my extra set also.This is cool.Right now I pull the doors off completely.I modified the pins so I can pull the doors in about 5 mins.I pulled the pins out threw 2 away and ground the other 2 down a little so they slide in and out of the bushing easily.I use these for the bottom hinges.For the top hinges I bought a couple of bolts with nylock nuts.You need to slide these in fromt the bottom because door is in the way to get them in from the top.you do need a wrench and rachet and socket to pull the doors.I use the nylock so it won't rattle off and have the bolt fall out.This works great for visibility on the trail but stuff will fall out.I have thought of putting a piece of plywood or steel in the doorframe along the bottom to hold stuff in but I like the cut doors better.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>

20. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing, but for the top, I ground down the OE pins, and drilled a small hole through the end. I use a small dia. cotter pin to hold them up. Works great.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd