Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has any one put a truck cab on a blazer frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5BLT4FUN, Oct 11, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am considering putting a truck cab on my blazer frame. Has anyone done this? If so, what is involved? Do you have any pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it has been done, what would you do about a bed though? cut a stock bed down? flatbed? tube??

3. K5BLT4FUN

I am considering a combination of flat bed and tube. Trying to design something that will be utilitarian. Possibly a hydraulic dump bed system, with onboard air and mobile underhood welder. Carry my spare tire, tools and spare parts to fix my truck and others on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

Its as easy as bolting on,hooking stuff up.I have made 2,a 79 and a 70. Make sure you regester as a pickup,passanger plates don't fly with cops.Or as commerciral blazer.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

let's see:
    backyardbuilt has done this
    tony's73k5 also
    some guy in michigan

i am sure there are others, from what i understand, you have to use the one crossmember off the truck for the cab supports on the back of the cab, otherwise, pretty straight forward /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I've done it. Its easy. If you have a 73-79(i think) its a direct bolt on as in my case. (76 blazer frame.) So far i like it a lot. If you use a newer 80 and up frame im not sure what is involved. Like said, i think you need a donor crossmember off the truck.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got the one piece rear cab mount crossmember! Its about all you need to put the regular cab on your K5 frame.

Buy my '88 V30 cab and I will throw the crossmember in for free. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

How much? I will have a extra Blazer fram lying in my front yard soon and might be interested in it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif A traveling she will go.. A traveling she will go!..... THis time you can tow it though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

What years would require a X-member swap? I'd like to do something like this, but on an 87-91 K5.

10. K5BLT4FUN

Sent you a PM /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

NO crossmember needed from 75.79 rear holes are in blazer crossmember.same 4 newer like 73,to 86 i know works.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    How much? I will have a extra Blazer fram lying in my front yard soon and might be interested in it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif A traveling she will go.. A traveling she will go!..... THis time you can tow it though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Bruce, Layne has already expressed interest in the cab. Will let you know if he passes though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Frizzlefry did it...

Marv

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ive beem thinking about this with the blazer i got sitting in the back yard..put a cab on it..and make some kind of a flat bed for the back..put a lift and stuff on it..that would make for one sweet rig!! the only thing i wonder about is...how hard is it to wire the cab up to the new frame and what not..?

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the only thing i wonder about is...how hard is it to wire the cab up to the new frame and what not..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a cab with good wiring and it isnt a problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Registered Member

Marv, that is one of the sweetest rides I've ever seen. It's like K5 meets Powerwagon and falls in love. Do you know what that bed is off of?

John

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Marv, that is one of the sweetest rides I've ever seen. It's like K5 meets Powerwagon and falls in love. Do you know what that bed is off of?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Friz cut down a stepside bed and then put trailer fenders on it. His truck isn't *quite* so straight anymore, it will likely be even less straight by tomorrow night since he is competeing in a Cal Rocs event tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's some video I took of him putting the stones to one of the fenders earlier this year...

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, that's pretty bad ass. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Registered Member

Agree w/ Tim, badass. I just wish I could have worked out a deal w/ him for that bed before it got/gets trashed. Great video, got anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif