Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody done 'Behind the Rocks' in Moab in a K5? UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Mar 26, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Has anybody done \'Behind the Rocks\' in Moab in a K5? UPDATE

Has anybody done 'Behind the Rocks' in Moab in a K5? How do the obstacles compare to Pritchett, or Potato Salad Hill? How much 'modified' was your vehicle before? After? Tire size?/lift height?/one or two lockers? - info would be helpful.
    I'm going to start making plans for my long weekend in Moab starting next Thursday /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I managed to survive Pritchett unscathed last October (probably only due to spotting by Stephen Watson and Dirk Phillips), and Potato Salad Hill scares me, so that's my reference points. I don't want to stretch my luck too much, but everything I've read about 'Behind the Rocks' sounds pretty good... Thanks for the input, michael

2. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

Re: Has anybody done \'Behind the Rocks\' in Moab in a K5?

I cant give you any info on behind the rocks but I do plan on doing it this trip. we will be there on friday late april 2nd and camping just past the entrance to hells revenge at sand flats rec area you should stop by I have the white truggy 4 seater with a big white enclosed trailer that has a big blue sticker on the side that says TOTALKARNAGE.NET
    LAS VEGAS NEVADA.
    with a lifted white dodge pulling it.

potatoe salad isnt that hard it just looks intimidating because of how many people roll on it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We picked up a Moab guide book that rates all the trails from easiest to hardest. Upper and Lower hell weren't listed for some reason, but Pritchett was either at the very bottom or one away from the bottom. IIRC it was labelled as the most difficult 3.6 miles in Moab. I can't say firsthand though...I haven't done "Behind the rocks" and I only got to wheel about 2 miles of Pritchett before destroying my rear driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

4. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We picked up a Moab guide book that rates all the trails from easiest to hardest. Upper and Lower hell weren't listed for some reason, but Pritchett was either at the very bottom or one away from the bottom. IIRC it was labelled as the most difficult 3.6 miles in Moab. I can't say firsthand though...I haven't done "Behind the rocks" and I only got to wheel about 2 miles of Pritchett before destroying my rear driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

the book was made before upper and lower were actual known trails,

5. jms

Bob,
    I'll try and find you guys; I'll be at the Motel 6, Dave (StormTrooper) is going to be there as well. So far, the only plans I have made is to join the ORD crew on Monday April 5, no plans yet for the other days.

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bob,
    I'll try and find you guys; I'll be at the Motel 6, Dave (StormTrooper) is going to be there as well. So far, the only plans I have made is to join the ORD crew on Monday April 5, no plans yet for the other days.

[/ QUOTE ]

what time do you guys plan on leaving your motel on monday morning for the ORD run ?
    maybe we will just meet your group at your hotel and tag along if thats ok.

on sunday the 4th we are running with a suzuki group from pirate 4x4 and are meeting them at the slickrock campground in the morning sometime. I will post up the time if you are interested. they are all very capable zuks and buggies.

7. jms

I think meeting's at 8 a.m., but probably better to shoot a message to Stephen about tagging along since he's the one organizing the run.

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think meeting's at 8 a.m., but probably better to shoot a message to Stephen about tagging along since he's the one organizing the run.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good.

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Done it both directions a couple of times. I think it is in line with Pritchett if not a little harder in places. If you run it backwards it is more difficult at white knuckle and nosedive. I would say 35's and at least one locker is required.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Behind the Rocks, Ratings 4+
    Trail Head - Lat: 38deg 26' 24" / Lon: 109deg 25' 44"
    From Moab, take highway 191 south about 13 miles to a country road on the right. Head west. Follow the county road above Kane Creek to the top of the Pritchett Canyon Trail, then turn up the Hunter Canyon.
    Behind the Rocks is an Extreme trail. Rollovers and breakdowns are fairly common. Certain obstacles, such as White Knuckle Hill, can not be bypassed. This trail also provides some wonderful view of the regions scuplted sandstone domes and fins.

[From the Travel Guide www.4wdandsportutility.com]
    The May 2004 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine includes a Moab Survival Guide /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. jms

Hey Tim, thanks for the info. I take it 'backwards' means having to go up at White Knuckle and Nosedive? Maybe I'll try and talk Dave into it, he's gonna need a chance to try his new winch and pull my behind out of trouble... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. jms

Thanks for the info, but I have all the books.

13. jms

Re: Has anybody done \'Behind the Rocks\' in Moab in a K5? UPDATE

Just got back from Moab today. We did only the second part of 'Behind the Rocks' (the part closer to Pritchett) in the backwards direction last Friday - so the first big obstacle you face is White Knuckle Hill, upwards. This is an impressive climb, all you can see is the sky, I came within 8 inches of making it (or so my spotter said), then my motor would cut out, starved for fuel due to the float level being a bit too low. Stood the truck solidly on the rear bumper, and got it going with starter fluid, backed down, and the StormTrooper pulled me up with his new winch. Thanks again, Dave, for all your help during the whole Moab trip. Sorry, no pics, broke my camera. Anyways, I'll be coming back to that obstacle next time I'm out in Moab

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Yep, That was cool man .... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Going up White Knuckle was fun!
    Tim, the winch works awesome (not needed for me though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks again, Dave, for all your help during the whole Moab trip. Sorry, no pics, broke my camera. Anyways,

[/ QUOTE ]
    No problem, thanks for the test and helping out is Never a problem. I wish it wasn't so late and starting to rain when we got to "Widowmaker" that night. Maybe we can do them both again at BB04? I'm also sorry about your camera. It would be cool if you can save any of the photos.
    I really sucked on taking pics on this trip but the video on the tri-pod between my seats came out ok. I blew a trailer tire in the canyon just outside of Grand Junction and had to do a pit stop on the side of the Hwy /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.
    I got home at about 4:00AM so I was burnt out.
    I'm still have a smile after finally doing "Double Wammi" in front of all the guys from Pettersons, ORD and West TX Off-road on the 1st try!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Sorry I didn't wait for you to get up there. Great Trip! and as always, I'll wheel with you any time. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Dam, I wanna go back......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. jms

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn, I wanna go back......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, my sentiment exactly. I'd rather not sit here in the office. John told me about your trailer tire adventure on Tuesday morning, glad you made it home safe. By the way, the axleshaft/u-joint story ended up the way I predicted... I guess I will get a short-side shaft assembly from John when I get back to Moab...

The camera, unfortunately, is done. Too bad, I dragged it all over the Southwest and it has never let me down. This means it's probably time to upgrade...

I'd like to try 'Behind the Rocks' again, same for 'Metal Masher', I thought that really was a fun trail. I'm not sure I really have a chance of making it up 'Widowmaker'. I'm going to have to look into beadlocks again, right now one of my problems may be too much air in the tires. After changing the float level in the carb, I can't blame things on the motor anymore when trying these climbs.

First thing I've got to do is address the rear bumper situation, this can't go on like that, I still like my quarterpanels /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Glad you had fun, wish I could have gone.

[ QUOTE ]
    I still like my quarterpanels

[/ QUOTE ]
    Trust me, you will get over them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. jms

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I still like my quarterpanels

[/ QUOTE ]
    Trust me, you will get over them. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not yet anyways, there's even considerable resistance at the home front just to do some more trimming /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    However, I have the support for a sturdy new bumper /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif, even got scolded for not putting one on before I went to Moab /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, That was cool man .... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Going up White Knuckle was fun!
    Tim, the winch works awesome (not needed for me though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks again, Dave, for all your help during the whole Moab trip. Sorry, no pics, broke my camera. Anyways,

[/ QUOTE ]
    No problem, thanks for the test and helping out is Never a problem. I wish it wasn't so late and starting to rain when we got to "Widowmaker" that night. Maybe we can do them both again at BB04? I'm also sorry about your camera. It would be cool if you can save any of the photos.
    I really sucked on taking pics on this trip but the video on the tri-pod between my seats came out ok. I blew a trailer tire in the canyon just outside of Grand Junction and had to do a pit stop on the side of the Hwy /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.
    I got home at about 4:00AM so I was burnt out.
    I'm still have a smile after finally doing "Double Wammi" in front of all the guys from Pettersons, ORD and West TX Off-road on the 1st try!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Sorry I didn't wait for you to get up there. Great Trip! and as always, I'll wheel with you any time. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Dam, I wanna go back......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got home last night from moab and what a great time we had.
    it was nice to meet you guys and I had a good time on the run monday. you guys sure missed out on pritchet tuesday we got there at 7;30 am and still took all day.
    the rock pile needs to be renamed to the rock because the pile is gone so brandon was the only one to drive up in his buggy unasisted.

petersons fourwheel and offroad magazine did a feature on my rig saturday out at the proving grounds so keep an eye out in the upcoming months. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. jms

Man I wished I didn't have to go back so early, good meeting you guys.
    I just got to watch a video of a Pritchett run from 11 years ago (it's on one of the DVDs they sell at the T-shirt store).
    Back then, it really was a 'rockpile' and it didn't look like too much trouble at all with a longer wheelbase, there was a real 'ramp' of stacked rocks, and people drove right on up. Certainly looks a lot different these days...

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man I wished I didn't have to go back so early, good meeting you guys.
    I just got to watch a video of a Pritchett run from 11 years ago (it's on one of the DVDs they sell at the T-shirt store).
    Back then, it really was a 'rockpile' and it didn't look like too much trouble at all with a longer wheelbase, there was a real 'ramp' of stacked rocks, and people drove right on up. Certainly looks a lot different these days...

[/ QUOTE ]

not to rub it in but you really missed out /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    and to who ever cooked all the ribs for our monday run you guys did a great job.

next year will be here sooner than you think so start planning.