Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody ever heard Treo CSX subs have any SQ whatsoever?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by PetaKane, Oct 2, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I know a couple of you guys have heard of Treo woofers. I've to 2 of the CSX 18's, my comp box is 32 cf, 620 sq inches of port so of course I know not to attempt SQ with that. But I just got finished putting together an enclosure for them, 7 cf net after port and driver displacements, 50 sq inch of port tuned to 30hz...sounds like absolute [censored]. For a woofer that retails for nearly $1000, you'd think that it was capable of producing music, not just 3 second 'burps.' So any of you guys that have heard a Treo sub sound decent, lemme know what kind of box they had it in. I personally wanna go for a sealed box, 3-4 cubes per woofer, but the 'experts' at Treo say it'll be a waste of time.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had my Treo's in a sealed box (15 inch subs). My friend Mike has a slot-port box that sounds really good. Do you have a link you can post for Treo Engineering ??? I only know of www.metroaudiodynamics.com to get them, and thier website isn't complete yet.

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I se Treos on the SPL cicruit but never in an SQ car. They seem to be more like my Crossfire XT sub which is loud ass S**T but not what I would want for an everyday driver.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

www.treoonline.com is up now, not very informative. I'm not an SQ maniac, but like I said before, a sub that costs $1000 retail needs to be somewhat musical. The 9917 from Digital Designs is about the same price, and probably a better woofer for SPL, and can still sound excellent in the proper setup.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Anybody with a big system in their K5 found the sweet spot yet? Mine seems to be with subs facing tailgate about 8" from the gate.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I plan on fireing (4) 15" subs upward. The box I'm going to build will completely fill up all the space behind the rear seat to the tailgate, and level with top of rear seat. Will have small receased area to be able to get to handel to open tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My sweet spot is with the sub firing towards the top with it about a foot or so away from the gate. Whenever i show it to people for the first time they always look in the back and expect to see a couple subs but they only see one are suprised. I'll get some pics of it tommorrow for you.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I guess it all depends what you consider "sweet", but here are a couple of pics showing what I did..... It's always good to see other ideas and "poach good ideas" if you see them! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

That, my friend, is beautiful, and ya still have all that space that I miss everyday...maybe I need to sell the Treo's, lol.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

PK,

Yes, the angle of the speaker still allows good access to the rear seat area, and with the side panels installed most people can't even tell that there are speakers installed back there....

Until it plays! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif It's NOT a "wall of 18's" effect, of course, but I do have a very strong set of amps driving the subs and the mib-basses in the doors, and the tweeters (mounted in steel pods below the floor). The overall balance of the system is amazing.

I've demo'ed it for a few CK5'ers locally, and at the BlazerBash in Moab....and I think people were blown away by how much sound is coming from a relatively small set of boxes!

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So what was wrong ???? Glade to hear you got them pounding properly.

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

GREAT JOB I have to comment on the nice router job and recessing the subs. Very often details like that our overlooked by the DIYers.

I'd let you work at my shop ;-)