Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody ever used a MOSQUITO MAGNET?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, May 24, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Bug season is just around the corner up in my part of the world and I'm curious if any of you have ever used a Mosquito Magnet to deal with biting insects. If so, do you have any feedback, good or bad, to offer?

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sometime I think I'm a Mosquito Magnet! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Sorry, never heard of it. Not many of them up at this altitude (9,000 ft.) and they are slow like the people up here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

We have one up at our lakehouse. It works pretty dang good. They are a bit pricey, but effective. Skip the small one and get the big one. I recommend you put it somewhere near your back porch or wherever you do your sitting around. They say it works good from a long distance, but, trust me it works even better at close range. I give it a thumbs up.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They better work, they cost over 500 bucks.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bug season is just around the corner up in my part of the world and I'm curious if any of you have ever used a Mosquito Magnet to deal with biting insects. If so, do you have any feedback, good or bad, to offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul what are these things you speak of? If they really work they would be good around here too /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks 'Fumes.

Wow those sound really awesome. I couldn't see a price, how much are they?

8. Can Can

Home Hardware has 'em on sale for $599 right now. I don't get that many mosquitos but the way I see it, I'm at the property for such a limited time every summer that I want each day to be as good as possible. 2 years ago the river flooded and it was a damn nightmare around my place- if I'd had some sort of mosquito control device I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad....

9. Can Can

I'm looking at the "Liberty" model. It supposedly covers 1 acre and that's about all I'm really concerned about for now.

I've also done quite a bit of clearing this spring(I had about 1 1/2 acres of dense willow- there's only about a third of an acre left /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif), so I'm hoping that the combination of that and a Mosquito Magnet will keep most of the bugs away. West Nile scares the crap out of me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is the West Nile Diesease in Canada too? I thought it was just in the lower countries /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Can Can

Yup. It should be in BC by this summer. Get out your DEET, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ah crap, luckily, last year for some reason, I never got bit once! I was outside everyday in the summer and everything... weird? I don't recall using any repellent either. I better be safe and dig out the citronella candle, and DEET /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will also be down in the coast and working most of the summer so maybe I won't get bothered by them /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

14. Can Can

Anything that can kill me scares me, brother. And I spend a lot more time outdoors than the average person. I also have 2 little kids to worry about, and if spending $500 will lessen the chances of them developing yet another illness, IMHO it's money well spent.......

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah you have a point with being outside lots, and protecting your children. You have to think of it like security systems, you can pick company A, which is 400 dollars cheaper, which may sound good, but also looks like of shabby. Or you can go with Company B which is pricey, but is well known for excellent service, and installion, and also looks well built. I'd say go for it if you have the money and if you want it brother /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Nothing wrong with protecting your family, but I find it Ironic how people get worried about something like West Nile Virus more than they do the Flu. Those statistics say a lot and I would just have to ask, do your kids get the Flu Vacination every year? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What kills me is that there is nothing to them, it's a frickin propane tank with a dust buster hooked up to it...You'd think the goverment would come out and spray, I'd check into that first Paul ,we're going to...I'd spend 500+ on a welder, skeeters can't get in the shop..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Can Can

The local Regional District does have a tax-supported mosquito control program in place, but to be honest I don't think they're doing as good a job as they can. And to get away from any kind of liability or responsibility, they contract out the mosquito spraying. I've made a few calls but I'm getting the old "pass-the-buck" treatment from both sides and am fed up..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

It doesn't help that the area where my property is pretty remote. They probably figure that the "hillbillies" in my area are used to mosquitos by now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And I get enough exposure to welding fumes in my line of work- the last thing I want to hear on my time off is a welder revving up and down all day. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    do your kids get the Flu Vacination every year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to ask Kim, but as far as I know, all their vaccinations are up to date. FWIW, how many of the flu deaths are in the 65+ age group? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I may try something like this just in the backyard and see what the results may be... web page Ofcourse my backyard is open to my creek and 5 acres,but I think I'll try something just to keep em off the deck first til I can get the creek cleared... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif