Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody ever....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, Nov 28, 2001.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Has anybody every had the idea to put rear air from a burb in a K5...and got as far as test fitting the plastic housing into the roof to see if it would fit at all? Just considering my angle of attack for next summer...

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Now that's a "cool" idea Doug

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Since the interior of the 79 has been Herculined for allmost 6 months now...i need to get off my butt and finish the interior...and since the a/c is down anyways...i thought it would be a plus to keep the hard top if i could fit one in there....if i can just locate a delco condensor for a 79 burb with rear air....disco in 92.... (more fin count).

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Doug, another option to consider for parts scrounging is Safari/Astro vans............our '93 had rear air, as does my wife's new 2001 has it - might be useful info.

You 'Zonies definitely need the cooling.............[​IMG].

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Problem is i have a 1/4 top i aquired for the 79 sittin in the garage.....soft top idea is lookin really good for weight savings...but that rear a/c sounds to be the best for my climate. Finding the unit to fit is going to be the hard part....the rest is cake and ice cream when you do it for a living and have your own Robin Air machines in the garage....lol. I'll keep the idea in mind Frank! Think i'll drop this post out over at the a/c forum site and see if any of the installers over there have seen it done. :0).

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Unless you want contols back there you should only have to find a way to get vents back there. I had a Z-71 that had hard floor vents that went under the carpet to the extended cab. They went next to the hump and were just connected to the other vents so the air split between them. Or you could run vents up the side post to headliner mounted vents.

nathan

69K5 stock except 33's. gettin taller soon. Fully understand the AC thing being from Louisiana

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I haven't worked on a Burb rear ac/htr but most of the units have thier own blower motors and then the contolr unit... some even have their own condesers and heater cores. But for AZ what if you modified the AC system (Comperssor and condeser, etc) to the larger burb unit and did what nathen said... add the vents and piping where ever you can fit them w/ maybe a couple fans to help the air along? You could wire them up to either seperate switches of the blower motor switch

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>