Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has anybody ground off spring perches?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Nov 3, 2006.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I've been grinding forever and i can't get through it. I'm really getting concerned because in certain areas i'm hitting the axle tube and i dont want to have to put alot of weld back into the tube.

Is there weld down in the center hole?

Should these be hard to grind off?

Anybody got a pic of one freshly ground off?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Jim, just grind off the weld, then beat the crap out of them with a BFH and they will go flying off :thumb:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X2, and don't forget the axle tubes are .500" thick so it's not like you're going to grind through them. After the perches are off just fill up the grinder marks and clean it up.

You probably have the cast perches which are a beotch compared to the stamped perches.

Rene

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

same technique applies though?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, grind out the weld as best you can and beat them with a BFH. I does help to use a regular disc for most of it, then a thinner cut-off disc to cut through some of the weld root.

Rene

6. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

ok...
    i guess thats what i wanted to here.
    Dont be ez with it. grind, grind, grind, then beat the living $h1t out of it. :D

Thats what i'll do.

And yes.....they are the cast ones.

Thanks guys

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Grind the weld, then beat the side with the sledge, watch the weld, it will begin to crack, when it does, work on it and the other edges alil more and your almost home!

8. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

You must really, really dislike them first.....

It helps when you reach for the BFH.....:wink1:

9. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Removeing spring perches

I grinded the welds with a grinding bit first and then I used a saw zaw and cut the purches in quarters, put a chisel in the cuts and hamered away. They broke off very easily. No damage to the axle tubes. And No, the hole on the purch is not welded.

Ed

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I tried the grinder method on my cast perches but it was taking WAY too long, so I fired up the flame axe. :weld:

They were off in a matter of minutes. :D

I built new ones out of thick-wall square tube, so I wasn't worried about saving the old ones at all.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i did that and ended up cutting a hole all the way threw the axle tube. :eek1: when i welded it back up, i must have had a pin hole in it because it was wet when i flipped the axle over. a little more grinding and more welding cured that.

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Well, my buddy put a hole in one of the tubes on my 14bsf and he wasn't even using the hot wrench :eek1:. He was trying to grind under the weld and ended up cutting through the axle tube! :grind: :grind: :grind: :yikes: :doah:I welded it up, ground it smooth, and it was fine, but unfortunately when he cut through the grinding dust sprayed right into the axle bearing on that side contaminating it, and I ended up breaking the race with the slide hammer tool, so in the end it costed me a new bearing (actually two - I replaced the bearing on th eother side as well) :doah: For the other perch I used a combination of careful grinding, chiseling, and the BFH. It got the job done :waytogo:

13. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

well i ground on it alot more tonight and i still dont have one off, but i'm being patient. I'll get it eventually.
    I can say one thing, they weren't coming off on the street. What ever welds those has some serious penatration

14. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you reusing the old ones? Or getting new ones? Or reusing the stock ones?

15. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah I'm getting ready to do this too...does ORU or ORD sell new perches?

-A

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

17. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SAWEEET! He'll even add some height to them for me....then they would sort of be like zero rates I guess...maybe I could have him add 1" to the perches for the 14ff and get some zero rates for the front 8 lug 10b I'm putting in. Then I wouldn't hit as bad when it tucks the tires.
    Just an inch but its about all I need...THANKS!

-Avery

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I tried using my swazall then i tried grinding them off and it was way too slow for me. I ended getting them off with a torch. Didnt go through the axle tube and ended up still being able to use the perches. I have had them on the blazer for 3 hard years of abuse and have had 0 damage to them whatsoever.
    -Harrison

19. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did a set a few years ago. Did the majority of it with a grinder and a sawzall. I took mine off in chunks then got smart and wsent for the weld. I had the cast ones welded to the tubes and they were a PITA. It is no easy task and requires alot of patience.

In regards to perches, I would go with what DIY sells or fab your own. A good idea if they are having extra height added to them is have them add 1/2" stell on the inside of it to reinforce the extra height. I bought a set from ORU and look what happened.
    [​IMG]

Luckily I was in the company of a good friend and an experienced fabricator and he made me a set of these

[​IMG]

These are nothing more than box tube radiused to fit the axle tube, with 1/2" steel welded to the inside and the outside of the tube to strengthen them, plus allowed me to lose my zero rate too.

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had Kert make me a set with added lift. They came out great. They probably don't need it, but I am reinforcing them like James is saying just to be sure. Might as well do it now before it becomes a problem.