Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody had good luck with PHYSIO TREATMENTS?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

After 18 years of abusing my body at work, my right forearm/wrist/hand has finally given out. In the last month it went from mildly sore to constantly aching. It's got to the point that I have to use my left hand for most tasks(including running the mouse), and even typing this is bugging my right wrist. The doc is convinced it's a repetitive stress type injury.......

Anyhow, the doc put me on anti-inflammatories that make me feel like puking, so I'm not taking them anymore. I have a physio appointment for Thursday, but I'm kinda skeptical. Has anybody gone through physiotherapy and had good long-lasting results?

I'm kind of nervous about this whole issue, because I'm in constant pain doing my day-to-day work, and I don't know how to do anything else. If it doesn't go away soon, I'm gonna be forced to make a Worker's Comp claim. And I REALLY don't want go that route yet.

Geez, a month ago my arm didn't hurt at all. Today it feels like I slamed it in a car door yesterday. How the fock did it get so bad so fast.....:doah: :(

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm..... sounds like a problem from constantly masturbating. :D

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Would you call physiotherapy the same as physical therapy?

If so, I've went to physical therapy for about 3 months for my neck. I ruptured a disc in it playing rugby, and couldn't turn my head any for about a month. I finally went to the doc and they sent me to physical therapy. He taught me to do some stretches that will strengthen the muscles and keep the pressure off the injury. I'll be doing it the rest of my life unless I want to have surgery on it.

If I go for a while without doing the stretches, I get an unbearable pain in my neck that eventually leads to a headache that OTC painkillers won't phase. I start on the stretches again, and the pain goes away in about two days.

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Same here for my neck. PT helped me for about a year and a half, but then I had to go for surgery.

Give it a try for a month, and go from there. It's worth a try.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Yeah! I was gonna say, "sounds like a case of wackers cramp to me":haha: :haha: Give it a rest man you'll pullit out by the roots if ya keep at it.:haha:

J/K man, welcome to middle age. Everything hurts and it comes and goes, try wearing an ace bandage for a few days. Oh yeah, dont forget the Ibuprofen four times a day either!

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Easy there trooper, kidney failure isn't pretty.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Can you be more specific about the therapy regimine?

Here's a brief description from one of my favorite books: If a muscle is stressed beyond it's capability, it becomes strained. Putting undue weight on the muscles and using the muscles for prolonged periods without rest can create muscle strain. A strained muscle may go into spasms or knot up instead of relaxing normally. Localized pain during movement, swelling, and loss of mobility may occur. If one of the ligaments, the tissues that connect bone to muscle, is wrenched or stressed excessively, the ligament may tear causing a sprain. There is likely to be a brief sharp pain followed by rapid swelling. Soft tissue sorrounding the joint may be sore and bruised.

HELPFUL:

Calcium 1500-2000mg daily for repair of connective tissue
    Magnesium 750-1000mg daily for skeletal system
    Free form amino acid complex for tissue repair
    Grape seed extract is a powerful anti-inflammatory
    Potassium 99mg daily vital for tissue repair
    Silica 500mg daily connective tissue repair and calcium absorption
    Vitamin A 10,000IU daily
    Vitamin B complex 100mg daily
    Vitamin C 5,000-20,000mg daily in divided doses for tissue repair
    Vitamin E 400-1,000mg daily free radical scavenger
    Zinc 50mg daily for tissue repair

Some recommendations: Consume plenty of juices made from fresh raw vegetables including beets, garlic and radishes.

If interested I have some poultice recipes, just pm for voodoo magic.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Knees, elbow, shoulder - worked every time. Football, mountain biking, skating, skiing, climbimbing, running, you name it, I have hurt myself doing it.

I have some pain at times, but its not bad, and no surgeries necesary yet. THe PT helped immensly as did the anti inflamatories/braces/ice/heat that the PT's prescribed. Give it a chance, it is not an over night fix, but will probably help you a great deal.

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

sounds like CTS.

my dad had it, and I had a mild case of it. Get the surgery, the meds DONT help at all.

Surgery only took a week or so to recover from.

10. gauder

gauder Banned

I hope it's not Carpal Tunnel. The only positive results I've seen for that come from surgery. Good luck Can Man.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i think it depends on what the ailment is Paul.. if it is a wrist thingy, CTS like others said, i haven't heard of too much luck with it, sorry to say... mom had that...

definitely take advantage of your healthcare and get it checked as much as you need... i would bet an MRI is needed... i would say don't feel bad about dosing yourself a little with over the counter stuff to take the edge off the pain while they figure it out... not a good habit, but for a little while you may need to.. personally i don't like em just masking the pain, i like to know whats going on with it physically... but i have had periods where i've done the advil thing to bear with it at work..

i can't begin to count the hrs spent in therapy and the gym for my knees.. definitely helps tho... after 6 surgeries i have no cartilidge left and some pretty shredded and stitched up ligaments.. in other words it makes the joint exceptionally loose and sloppy.. the only way to combat it is to build muscle mass surrounding it to help keep it tight...

the thing that freaked me out back when i had my first full ACL gig was that when you wake up in recovery, they already have your leg in a CPM machine starting to bend it... kinda freaky when they don't tell ya and ya wake up with that machine going already, bending your leg... :eek1: :haha:

i hope it feels better bro. life can be hard enough, adding that daily pain can just make it plain miserable...

12. gauder

gauder Banned

Ibuprofen works great as an anti-inflammatory. Doc's have told me I can take 800mg 4 times a day when needed.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't like taking any kind of pills, other than my daily multivitamin and vitamin c tablets. Kim is on me CONSTANTLY to take ibuprofen or whatever, because I get cranky when my arm hurts. I've taken it a few times. Maybe I'll concentrate on taking it a few times daily for a couple of days and see if it takes the edge off........

My biggest concern right now is that with a goobered hand/forearm, I am essentially useless, both at work and at home. I'm also concerned at how fast this condition developed. Like I said, I was 100% less than 40 days ago. :thinking: And I hate how I can't work out with my arm like this.

Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted. My physio appointment is for Thurday after work.

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Paul, there have been major improvements in the treatment of CTS. In L.A., there's a chirpractor who successfully treats it every day. He has a lot of musicians as patients. He also treated me for what appeared to be tendonitis in one adjustment. I had no use of my hand and forearm. Turns out the big muscle along the top of the arm was popped out of place (people often think it is tendonitis).

My point is that there are successful non-surgical treatments for many musculo-skeletal injuries. An MRI should help a lot with correct diagnosis. A good physical therapist can do a lot. If you don't see good results once you are properly diagnosed, then I'd try another therapist before hinting around for surgical options. Therapists do run the gamut of superb to moron.

And you may need to take an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant to get any spasmed, choked up muscles to relax enough to go back in place. It's a better option than sitting around with a messed up arm or getting surgery (with mucho drugs). So don't be a stubborn you-know-what. Treat the arm (with medication as needed) and be done with it.

Speaking of vitamins, start taking the stuff mentioned in the earlier post. He's right.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

One thing to remember with ibu...

Take with food or milk. It can, and will cause stomach bleeding. Not to mention, if you take heavy ibu doses (800 mg types), alcohol should be out of the question. Ibuprofirin (sic) is pretty hard on the stomach, liver, and kidneys.

16. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I screwed my left wrist up a few years ago, and went through 3 months of OT. The Occupational therapy made it feel better temporarily. I ended up getting some kind of super steroidal injection that hurt like heck.

Tha main thing is after you get done with any therapy, listen the the therapists advice on taking it easy, doing at home stretches. Wear the brace, if they give you one. The dr told me mine would have been two weeks of light duty if I had come in when it first happened. Instead it took 5 months cause I was hard headed. Good luck to you.

17. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

You can also try Aleve instead of ibuprofirin. One of the only OTC anti-inflammatories that helps my pain.