Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anybody raised the gas tank after a body lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am thinking of doing this and was looking for different approaches and ideas to this. Thanks.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have looked into this. COLLISION was cool enough to snap off some pics of his K5 frame w/ no rear half of the body to how how it mounts.

Im sure it can be done, but having the body off would be a huge help to get in there and cut and weld. I havent ruled it out yet, I may still do it as it will put the tank close to even w/ the rails and the hitch could also be lifted for better departure angle.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I get a body lift, I'd like to find a larger fuel tank so I can go longer befor having to come back into town to gas up again. Have been thinking of adding a pair of saddle tanks along with my stocker in the rear. Anyone done that yet ??? I had 3 tanks on the 72. So I'm thinking about doing the same for the 76.

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The General raised his tank a few inches with a 3" body. it was pretty easy you will have to do some cutting of the cross members and he fabbed up some extra straps that go over the top to lock it down.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't exactly have a "body" but, I raised mine about 2"+ by relocating the cross members up higher... I posted a pic of it some time back.

6. Sandman

Do you still have the pic? Did you just cut and reweld the crossmembers or is there another way? Thanks.

7. BadDog

Here is one of the front cross member.
    [​IMG]
    A view from the side.
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to take a pic of the back before putting it together, but this should give you the idea. Just cut out the rivets, slot the side of the cross member where you want it to fit on the frame lip, weld angle on the end to give you something to bolt to the frame on top, build a stabilizing out-rigger thing to stabilize the bottom, and call it good...

8. BadDog

BTW, those are Sub cross members on a K30 frame. My frame is MUCH wider, so you won't need near as much for the lower edge stabilizer...

9. Sandman

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif