Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has anyoen ever done this rear axle swap ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Oct 31, 2001.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

I want to put a 76 2wd rear 12 bolt corp under the rear of the 72 blazer chasiss, I dont have welder, but have everything else. Do you think that I could swap over the axle to the 72 by swapping on the 76 leaf hangers- therefore moving the springs to thew proper distance apart, and stil be able to retain the 72 leaves ? I guess that depends on if the width of the 72 springs at the eyeholes are the same as the width of the 76 hangers.
    I cant use the 55" long '76 springs, because well I already have
    to move the front-most rear hangers toward the rear ot accommodate the 67-72 rear cab mount brackets.

thanks for anything

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", converting to 2wd and pickup body(I did not want to do this- rust made me do it)

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I think it will work and may do the same to my 72 K10 except using a 14ff. A local yard has 20+ later model trucks, 4 with 14ff's but none are 1 tons with the proper spaced spring pads. The frames are exactly the same width, so all the difference is in the hangers. Would be a good time to do a shackle flip too. Be aware that there are lots of different spring hangers, I have seen at least three or four types with different mounting heights and rivet spacing.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The spring hanger idea might work, but you will still need to cut off and re-weld the shock absorber brackets. The '73-up uses a staggered shock arrangement (one in front of, one behind the axle) where the '69-'72 has both shocks in front.