Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone actually broken a 208/241?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Feb 20, 2001.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I know they're not as strong as the 205, but I was wondering if anyone has actually broken a 208. I've been through a few range forks, but never really broken anything (they wore out due to improper shifter adjustment). A lot of guys on the Dodge Cummins site are putting a ton of torque (well over 800 ft lbs from the motor, and then through an NV4500)through their 241s (light and heavy duty), and it doesn't seem to come up. If you did brake one, how'd it happen, and what equiptment are you running on your truck? What broke? I'm still planning on a doubler, but was just curious.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

800 lbs of torque with a cummins?? Must have a lot of work done to it. I have never broken one, but a friend of mine has cracked to housing on two. He drove kinda crazy and had 450+ hp coming from a built 383 that he really liked to go hammer down on. So They are breakable, but then so was his axles, 3 sets, and transmissions, I think he is on his 4th one.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been running my 208 for about 7 years and it is holding up great and I dont treat it very good.

I did see one 241 break on a 90 or so K5. He was coming out of a mud pit at an angle(climbing out the side) and the tailshaft housing, tailshaft and driveshaft grenaded.
    This guy was running 35" BFG's, 4" lift, 350TBI, 700r4.... However, I did the same thing and my t-case stay intact.(I am running a 350, 6" lift 35" TSL's, th350, 208)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

One guy in our club has broken two 208's, but he's running 42" Swampers, a pretty healthy 454, and likes to do stupid stuff like burn-outs on pavement in 4-low. I have seen one other break and that was also behind a 454 and 39's that was trying to pull out a very, very stuck truck and was hammering on it really hard.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Actually, making 800 ft lbs is pretty easy, its getting it to the ground thats tough. I had the pleasure of putting a new clutch in mine over the weekend, had to drive the Blaz for a few days.

Sounds like the tailshaft is a weak link. Wonder if the short shaft ones are any better. I was also talking more about breakage due to power, not hitting the case on a rock.

Now that I think about it, I did once break the cast iron adapter between the aluminum 700 and 208 when I hit a rock. Bogled my mind.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

6. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Well, a while back I went through five 208's in two weeks. My Blazer just kept throwing it's driveshafts (which proved to be balanced each time), and breaking the hell out of the 208, when a driveshaft goes flyin, a 208 doesn't hold up to well, it busted them beyond repair each time. Finally I found out it was my lift that was causing it, Rancho. I'm not a Rancho fan anymore needless to say, My Blazer is now running with my own personal additions to the Rancho lift to keep it road worthy.

"There's NO replacement for displacement!"

7. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Actually, the only one I have ever broke was due to an auto hub engaging at highway speed on my 85 k20. It broke the case in half, but after we tore it down you could see where the thrust bearing was wearing into the case. I didn't think it was a very good design, but I'ts probably been updated on later models.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have gone through 1 case and 2 tailshaft housings, and I don't beat on mine very badly. I will say that the 1 tailshaft housing was due to a driveshaft breaking off, the 208 doesn't like that much. I thought about a 241, but I want the Doubler, so I will just save up and bide my time with the 208, hopefully it lasts that long!

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've had no preoblems with my 241, and for about two years it was only bolted to the tranny and driveshaft.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Got a nice crack in the case on mine that pukes DexII all the time. Just waiting til it gets warm enough out to F^&k with it again. Hope it can be welded.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep, I was trying to go up this hill (u-joint hill) and blew up my 208 it broke the rear housing in half. I still have it laying outside and will get some pics of it one of these days Also broke the output shaft, twisted my rear driveshaft like a beer can and broke a u-joint in half all in 1 shot.( when I break something out wheeling I like to go all out LOL) I've only got about 300hp/300lbs-o-torque and couldn't believe I did all that damage. At the time all I had was 33's and a 12bolt. I still like 208's for their low gear, but as far as strength I don't. I'll go with a doubler as soon as I get the dough.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So basically, the consensus is:

With a well-maintained 208 or 241, an educated right foot, and no other serious mechanical issues (shafts out of balance, bad angles, auto hubs working automatically [which scares me-I still have mine!!], etc), a 208 or 241 is NOT a liability.

Of course there are exceptions, but that's life in the big s#!tty, right???

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I watched a late model suburban going up 3-stage in Clayton, OK. He of course ate his tail shaft housing. I have had the same 208 for 16 years now. It's got the original 300,000 miles on it, and sees plenty of froadin'. I'm a big fan of the 'nice and easy' approach to four wheeling. That, combined with my 6.2L NA, has kept the abuse of hard throttle to nil.

David
    '85 diesel burban

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that worked at New Venture Gear for a while in the Failure Analysis lab. He said that the only 208 he ever saw break was when the housing cracked from hitting a rock. They tried to break the chain but the driveshaft u-joints always went first. I would think that if you protect the case with a decent skid plate you shouldn't ever have a problem.

BTW, If you ever want to see some carnage, take all the safety stuff out of an NV4500, get it up to 70mph and slam it in reverse!! They had to do that one time "just to see what happens". My friend said the case exploded and the driveshaft went through the bed of the truck. They found gear teeth stuck in the plate steel they put under the cab to protect the driver.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

15. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Ive had my 208 and never replaced it and im rough! I used to unlock the hubs and put it in 4lo and race light to light HEHE!
    fast off the line but 40mph top end in 4th gear, used to blow mustangs minds though, anyway ive been to colorado iron chest, wheeler lake,etc put a 383 and a drag th350 and still no problems. (knock on wood) Ive been through 4 u joints but till she breaks not replacin it!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

16. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Glad the 4500s have that safety stuff -- I tried to hit 6th without thinking on the drive home just after I bought the Dodge. Maybe since I used to drive a six speed Topkick down the same road at my old job? Good strong tranny, but it doesn't like to shift too fast. Raced a 454 SS pickup last night, but we ran out of road before I could really catch him, he was about 1/2 truck length in front of me when we let off, and I was just starting to pull up on him.

As for drag racing with the Blazer in low, I'll plead guilty. With the diesel trans, I can run full throttle in OD, it'll do around 65 in low, with the planetaries screaming. Wonder why my trannys hosed?

Pete