Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone actually converted an 8-lug 14-bolt sf to 6-lug?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Aug 31, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have found a 6-lug 14-bolt sf in a junkyard and believe that I can handle moving the spring perches, but it is pretty expensive ($500 plus core). I would like to compare this cost to the cost of converting an 8-lug 14-bolt sf to 6-lug. If someone has actually done this conversion, I would like to know what you had to do. I have searched old posts, but I am not sure if any of these posts were from someone with actual experience.

DJ
    78 K5

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have asked that some question before without any first-hand experience in a response. The general concensus is that it is just a matter of axleshafts and drums. If you were thinking of going with disk brakes then that would just mean axleshafts. The advantage to the 8-lug SF from a late-80's suburban is that the perches don't need to be moved.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

why would anyone want a semi float 8 lug? it isnt even really a 14bolt

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I guess I agree with that. To go 8-lug, it would be easier to just find a FF 14B and lose an inch of ground clearance. But the advantage of the 14B SF is that it is about the toughest 6-lug axle available.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

WAY too expensive for a 14 bolt of any kind,unless new Keep looking....

Surfing is Life...