Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone built a high performance TBI engine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dieselmh, May 28, 2002.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my 1991 Chevy truck with the stock TBI 350. I'm trying to get it around 400 HP or better, but I'm having some trouble finding the compatable parts. I'm getting Dart large valve, high flow heads with angled plugs, Wiseco flat top pistons for a 10:1 compression ratio. Does anyone know of a site or person that has built a Hi-po TBI engine that I could copy or get some ideas from? The intake and fuel injection seems to be my biggest obstacle. Thanks for any help

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Holley makes a supercharger kit for the TBI motors. I think it's based on the 144 wieand street blower. Priced around $2950 from summit. The article I read showed everything for the installation is in the kit and it is emissions legal in all 50 states.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think a stock 350 GM TBI will ever flow enough air to feed an engine like that.
    You can get a performance 2" (454) TBI but even then I dont think you will get even anywhere near 400+ hp. They simply dont flow enough air. They only flow around 650 cfm
    The Holley Supercharger for TBI wont work on modified engines it is designed for a stock emmision legal 350.
    You might be able to get it to work if you lowered the compression ratio down to no more than 9:1 and got a mild computer firendly cam. But you will still need some custom chip burning done.

In my opinion if you want to feed an engine like you want to build you will need an aftermarket performance fuel injection system.
    You might check out these guys:<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bgfuel.com/bgfuel/Index.htm> Barry grant Fuel systems.</a> Click on the fuel injection page. They have a great TBI set up.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbocity.com/EFICrossDtail.htm> Turbo citys</a> corssfire system may also work for you.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The kit also included a custom burned chip for your application, you fill in the info on the card and they burn the chip. If you were to run the blower you would have to build it as a blower motor, lower compression, milder cam etc. The higher flow TBI unit would definitely go on and then the higher boost pulleys as well.