Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone built their stereo gear into their console? Any pics?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Aug 14, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm wanting to build a center console that is a secure place for small items, as well as house my CB and a 10" sub. Has anyone done something like this? I've seen the tuffy consoles, and they'd be perfect if they had a spot for the sub.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Subwoofer vibrating inches away from a CD player might not be the greatest idea........

If the deck stays in the dash, (and you can effectively SEAL the console for the air pressure of a sub) there's no reason why you couldn't.

....realistically, by the time you figure out how to make the box airtight, you wouldn't have a console anymore.....you'd have a subwoofer cabinet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah I know how that goes. I wish yours would work for me, but I already have recessed co2 tanks in the drivers side behind the wheelwell /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was planning on putting a toolbox on the passenger side as well. Is there any way to put in a sub enclosure forward of the wheelwell only on the drivers side? I already have an ESX 12" that takes about 1 cube of space...hmmmm might go take some creative measurements tonite.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I built this, but it probably doesnt help....

Big Pic Of Thing

It's vibe proof

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont mess with the swishers!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

If you only need 1 cubic foot it can be done. I did it. My box basically follows the shape of the wheel well about half way back. It sticks out exactly as wide as the wheel well and goes forward to the edge where the floor drops. it then goes diagonal to meet just behind the seat belt. sounds complicated and was not super easy but once I cover it with carpet it will look good, I think and it pounds, even with a soft top. I will try to take pics this weekend and post some.