Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone did a GM 4L80E conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TanMan, May 31, 2000.

1. TanMan

TanMan Registered Member

I am planning to put a 4L80E transmission in my new project vehicle, an 1988 Blazer, currently equipped with a 700R4. I have adapter parts and a NP203 from my '77 that I will be using. My question is what to do with all the electronic controls? Would a manual valve body kit allow me to run the transmission without a computer? If someone has done this before, clue me in on what's needed.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have never done this swap and dont know of anyone who has, but Jet Performance(the computer chip people) sell 4L80E's for non computer controlled vehicles. I am sure they would help you with yours!!!

Sorry I couldn't personally help!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There is no such thing as a manual valve body for the 4L80E, they are all electronic. Jet sells a controller, but I think it is $1K+. Now you begin to understand why this is not a popular swap. I have heard that the diesel trucks from the first couple of years of this tranny ('92 - '93) have a controller just for the tranny, as the engines were not computer controlled. I still have never seen a post from anyone who has used one though.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. TanMan

TanMan Registered Member

All right, I found a good solution for the swamp. Transgo makes a manual shift kit for the 4L80E that rids all the electronics for about $200. Lots cheaper than the aftermarket computers. Who needs a computer to control a simple transmission? You will need a 4 speed shifter and a manual switch for the lock-up converter.

5. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

I would like to know the details behind that swap, it sounds great!!!

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Was wondering if ridding the tranny of the electronics would be a good swap. The transmission was made to take sensor readings from the engine and shift in accordance. Doing it manually may actually make it not worth the swap b/c I'm curious how longevity would suffer? Under Ideal circumstances an auto will last along time same is true with a manual's clutch take it easy and the clutch would last for a while. It seems rather expensive to swap and if it doesn't last much longer than a strong and properly built 700r4 is it really worth it??????

Wasn't me.............

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If I'm thinking correctly, a 700r4/4L60E is based on a TH350, and a 4L80E is based on a TH400. Since the stock 400 is stronger than the stock 350, I would think that this swap would be a good thing, once the electronics issues are sorted out.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!