Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone done the con in a full-size?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Dec 20, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am thinking about running the Rubicon, summer of 2002, should have UAV beefed by then, does anyone know if it can be done with out major body damage? Anyone want to run it with me?

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One of the 4x4 magazine guys took a full size Jimmy through the Rubicon a few years ago, just to prove it could be done. He did do some body damage... I've got a buddy that took a Toyota Tacoma through there with 33's a couple of summers ago. He damaged the lower fenders, just behind the rear wheels.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Cole Quinell (orange 76 GMC) and Trent Magee (orange 1st gen K5) took they're trucks over the rubicon a few years ago. There was an article in 4W&OR about it. They said it could be done, but body damage is likely and it takes longer. </font color=blue>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes it can be done especillay with our K5's!!
    I'll go with ya for sure!!
    It can be done in two days but staying up at spider lake an extra day is most common and lots of fun.
    Some of the tighter spots do have 'go arounds' to keep sheet metal damage to a minimum.
    I have never taken my K5 up there but I have been on that trail in the late 80s. From what I have read and some folks I know 'jeepers' the trail has gottin allot eaysier due to its poularity and use! It is however still one of the best twoday trips on a sigle trail you could ever do! You actually end up in West Lake Tahoe! Very cool.
    I WILL have my rig READY for that trail by then FORSURE!!
    That is actually the trail that I am building my rig to CONCURE!! And I WILL Concure it!
    Bring Ujoints!!
    Lets DOIT "K5RUN3, Runnin the CON!!" [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Gangreen did it last year. Beat the [censored] out of his truck. Depending on what you do, you can make it with the stock running gear. They run the Jeep Jamboree up there every year. Those normally all aren't built, some are actually stockers. Be prepared for some body damage is the feeling that I get. You might try and get ahold of Ron Kirby or Vince Howdyshell. I know Ron had told me at one time he used to wheel a fullsize and I think Vince is building a blazer for the con. Both are members of the Pirates. Try getting ahold of Gangreen, he is on the board on accasion, he did it and can also prb. give you some good firsthand info.

Enjoy, at the rate my rebuild is going, I won't have it done till 2003.

Kyle
    89K5

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Put me on the list!! I am actually headed up to the Dusy-Ershim trail this spring, want to give that a shot. Have heard that body damage can occur (where can it not?), but as long as my major body pieces stay on, I am ok with scratches and dents...hell, they took a fullsize through Sledgehammer, why can't we do the Rubicon??? :)

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Its do able, but you got to know your vheicle inside and out.
    I took my first blazer a '73 to the CON in '88 or '89.
    I don't know if I will remeber much of the trail bit I am up for the run again.
    P.s. bring a chain saw just incase at tree has grow up in the trail.

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Chainsaw is probably not a good idea...too many tree huggers and "Timber Dicks" around.

ken

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I'll go Steve. By then Butch will be unstopable and you know that the idea of body damage will not hold me back. By the way, sent off the knuckle to ORD today to get the crossover underway.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

COUNT ME IN
    i'll be there but that seems like a long ways away 2002 hope i can wait that long.

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1289941&a=9562647&p=31489733[/image]

11. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I live in Tahoe and will probably check it out when the snow melts. I wanted to do it before winter hit but the truck wasn't ready. I'm not sure if they gate it up in the winter like the Forest Service does to all the trails up here. It's a drag. But I'll go whenever anybody comes up this way.
    Merry Christmas!

PRAY FOR SNOW!

12. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

I live just minutes from there in Tahoe. Back in highschool we took just about every 4 x 4 we owned through there. Of course we dented must of them up pretty good. Now a days we're a little easier on the vehicles. It still one the most fun places I like to go, next to Sand Mountain.
    Hey maybe I'll meat you all up there.
    Todd Miller
    Carnelian Bay, CA

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!