Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone else Nucked up this bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Nov 3, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Alright... about three months ago, I bought a truck with a 500HP 454 in it. Once I got it, I hated the wheelbase and decided to get a K5. However, I didnt want to give up the big block. So... I had this great idea that if I swapped in a TPI 350, fixed the body, and painted it.. That I could get enough out of it to get the 454 for free. So, three months ago the process began. I started by pulling off the front clip and pullng the engine. This revealed worst rockers and a shot front clip - more than I had anticipated. Last weekend I picked up a cab and a front clip. In the meanwhile, I have painted the front half of the frame. I wanted to put the new cab on today, so last night I burned off the bolts for the box and hooked up some straps today after school. Lets just say... the straps slipped and now my box is laying on my garage floor with both box sides bent in.. the bitch is totalled. Not to mention the new box side I just put on it. Now, on top of all the expensive TPI [censored], I have to come up with a new box. So, how about someone sharing that they [censored] up even worse and make me feel better. And if you hear of a 8ft box for sale... Let me know!!! Thanks guys...

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, it's not a Blazer story, or even a land vehicle story, but...

I was running the overhead hoist in our hangar, replacing a main rotor blade. These things weigh about 400lbs, are 37ft long, and cost $185,000 new. There's seven on the aircraft. Anyway, the work area was pretty tight due to almost all of our planes being in the hangar. I misjudged the amount of room I had to get the blade, dangling 20ft in the air on a lifting cart, around some other parts and ended up punching a 3" hole in the spar. The blade couldn't be repaired. Cost to the squadron (and you, my fellow taxpayers): $185,000. Oops.

So, to answer your question: YES, I have nucked up that badly!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice to know where are tax dollars are going!!! I don't see why they couldn't reapir it...duck tape always fixes anything!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Damn, ken. That had to really suck big time.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The hole was in the spar of the blade, which is what transfers the lift forces generated by the blade to the rotor head, which in turn supports the aircraft in flight. If the hole had been somewhere else, we could have duct-taped it!

6. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

That hole still did not add up to most Gov. bought toliet seats [​IMG][​IMG]

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

7. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Nice jarhead!! What type of A/C?

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

You guys should have tried some JB Weld! LOL Have you guys heard the Paul Harvey commercial when he reads the story where a turtle's shell was repaired with the stuff? What's next? A story of some old lady that repaired her broken hip with a tub of JB Weld! LOL[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

A few recent screw ups, don't know if it'll console ya any:

At work, I trim out and load out utility bodies. Well when loading one particularly heavy body about a month ago, I was using the standard lift and stop method. You know, lift up about one foot, and then stop till the forklift settles back to level ground. Then the pull and stop method, same situation. Well this was a canopy body, weighing in at nearly 12,000 lbs and the thing just tilted over and spit itself on the ground. Luckily missed the guys trailer, but fubared the bottom of the body all to hell.

Rebuilt a front driveshaft about a month ago completely, CV and all, and found that I rebuilt the wrong one, MY driveshaft was still on my front porch...That kinda peeved me off...

And we have an 8' box for sale from a '78, but it'd sure be a haul for you to come and get it. haha

Bryan

[​IMG]

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

look, sell the clip, the body, the 350 TPI, the tranny, and Xfer case, throw the 3/4 ton axles on your Blazer as well as teh 454then sell your axles and the frame of the truck with the title to somebody who needs a titled rig.
    Problem solved [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That was a CH-53E main rotor blade. The spar (where I holed it) is titanium.

Speaking of tax dollars at work, about 3 years ago at my last squadron, a guy ruined a brand new, zero-time main rotor head. Again, all titanium. His boss ordered him to install it even though the controls on the crane weren't working correctly. The crane went into spasms at the worst possible moment, and damaged a $4 million component that ultimately had to be scrapped. THAT was a bad day...

12. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

we had a guy that closed the hangar door on one of our blades. they aren't as expensive as 53 blades but he crushed it completely.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

13. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

In the penny saver here in the high desert Ca,there is one for sell 100$ in good shape its a long bed fron an 83 i think.