Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever contacted the FCC?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by divorced, Oct 28, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Near where I live there are a few guys that use converted 10 meter radios with amplifiers over 3,000 watts to transmit on channel 19 on the CB band. They will just say stupid stuff, make noise, carry on personal conversation, or brag about their "big" radios. Their main goal is to annoy people and make it difficult, if not impossible, for anyone else to talk on channel 19.

What if someone would report these guys to the FCC, would anything be done? Or is the FCC too busy with other matters they feel are more important?

Just wondering...

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Around these parts the FCC drives around in vans looking for people who like to squash with their CB's or other illegal transmitting devices.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've heard stories for years about the FCC setting up listening post, driving around in vans, …ect. Honestly, I’ve never seen them do anything about “illegal” radios. Never known anyone too get a knock on the door from the FCC. I really don’t think contacting them would do any good. As long as they are not interfering with government radios (Police, Fire, …ect.) or airport/airplanes, I have my doubts the FCC would get involved. Besides, even if they did catch one or 2 of them, how long do you think it would be before another person would come along doing the same stuff. All that is why I never cared for 27.1850 (channel 19). I’m one of those guy that run modified 10 meter radios. Sometime big amps too. But I don’t bother with 19 because it’s just a zoo anyways. On the outside chance that the FCC would come to your town, it’d really suck for all the other people with modified 10 meter radios who are not raising heck down on the zoo. What I’d recomend is that you locals get away from 19. Find a channel that hardly ever has any traffic and start a new home channel. We used too have a pretty large group of locals yakking every night on 40. Then some of us split off and ran 35. Another fairly large ran on 23. Not too mention the SSB crowd on lower 38. 19 was just too much of a hassle, You’ll always find those who want too harass the truckers, and you’ll always find trucker who want too harass everybody, including other truckers.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My town that I'm talking about is St. Louis. I like to listen to channel 19 so I know where the traffic jams and accidents are so I can go another route. Another channel isn't an option.

There is one guy with a welfare radio who likes to clog the airwaves with his stupidity just to annoy people. Then there is a guy who is mobile who just likes to show off with his big radio. I know his first and last name, truck description, plate number, and company he is leased to. There is a guy in STL who builds the big compitition amplifiers up to 64 pills (I've met him before). There are many truck drivers in STL who are lost or looking for somewhere, but can't get any information because of these agrivating people. I'm one of the guys who tries to help truck drivers since I've been driving in St. Louis for 16 years and I know my way around quite well. I used to have a 4 pill amp in my truck, and I talked on channel 19 quite a bit with it... but only to help people who need some local information then I shut up.

There have always been big radios in STL, but they have stayed off of channel 19. Now we have these cocky a$$holes who don't care and get off on agrivating people. Drivers have told them to get off of 19 with all that power, but they respond with "It's mine, I'll do what I want" or "You should get a bigger radio" or "If you can't beat em, join em". That's why I think it would be cool for the FCC to take away their toys... just because they are cocky a$$holes.

There is another city about 100 miles from STL where a guy used a big amp to advertise his products for sale on channel 19. The FCC found him and told him they would allow him to advertise on 19, just not with an amp. If they ever found an amp in his vehicle again they would fine him and take away his equipment.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I’ve noticed over the years how 19 has gotten worse and worse. If you can find those aggravators, there is always pinning their coax. Not the nicest thing in the world, but it works.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I thought of doing that, but the mobile guy has his antenna mounted in the center of his roof, so no coax is exposed. I don't know where the welfare base station operates from, but I would like to pull down his tower with a tow strap. ;)

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Finding the base is easy. Watch your meter. When it pegs you are close, then disconnect your coax at the back of your radio and drive around till the meter pegs again. Should be easy too spot his antenna then. As far as the mobile goes, well, I’ve seen antennas get snapped off. Also heard of JB Weld grounding the antenna and mount together.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Call the FCC and see what they say.