Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fulltopblazer, May 21, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I was at the Canadian River just outside Amarillo,TX this weekend and was running down a trail that was a little to narrow for my blazer ( I was also runnind a little to fast ) and my left front tire hooked the side of the trail and jerked me around sideways. I tried backing up and straiting my tire and I couldn't, so I got out and my left front tire was turned all the way to the left and pushed up under the rocker. Anyway after taking some time to figure out what was wrong with it the bolt thet goes through the leaf springs had sheared off and let the axle slide back all the way to the first clamp on the sping pack. I still can't believe this happened the springs are less than 2 years old. I figure it would have broke a u-joint or axle stub before this happened. I wrapped a chain around the axle and hooked a come-along to the front bumper and pulled it back in to place and took it very easy back to camp and loaded it on the trailer and came home. I know this is long I was just wandering if anyone has ever had this happen?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I know this happened to Boss at Tellico a while back... I don't think his springs were even a year old.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did you put the springs on yourself and if so did you re-torque them at 100 and 500 miles, might be a dumb ? but it's a place to start...

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

reedmit (Mitch) had that happen on our run to TSF back in March.........

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

does anyone know if you can buy new wraps that go around the leaf packs about 3/4 of the way up?

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have had that happen twice already in the 7 months (?) I've had my front springs on. Now every time that something feels funny, that is one of the first that I check. No biggy, easy fix.