Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever messed with Ford EFI/engine swaps/wiring harnesses?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by divorced, Jan 14, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have a complete car that I got from my brother. It's a 1992 Thunderbird with a 5.0 HO (mass air flow) and an AODE transmission. I want to swap the motor and trans into my old carbed Chevy truck. I was wondering if anyone here has ever messed with the Ford EFI wiring harnesses? And if I can use all of the factory wiring harness to make it work or do I need to buy one? Or do you just think that I'm crazy?

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

You can use the factory one to make it work, it will just take a while to get it all figured out. Places like windsor-fox make a wiring harness adapter to fit the FI302 into old Mustangs, so it would probably be simpler to work with.

Are you gonna put the Ford tranny and stuff in too?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Why not sell it and buy a used Camaro and make life easier :D

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I planned on using the tranny too because of the OD. I'm not very hardcore so it should hold up pretty good. I've got this motor and also a 5.7 TBI from an '89 C1500 (actually I have the whole truck yet, bad tranny). I have two trucks that I will swap these two motors into: one is a 1979 K20 with a divorced t-case, so the 2wd tranny is not a problem, and the other is a 1972 C10. I am thinking of putting the ford in the 79 because it really needs OD, and the 5.7 in the 1972 because it is ok without OD. You know how things are though - anything is subject to change at any moment without prior notice :D

Paul - I thought about selling it, but then I never know what shape the motor is in that I buy. This one has only 79,000 miles and still runs great. Besides, it would be cool to screw with the diehard chevy guys when I show them a ford motor in a bowtie! :grin: