Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever put 33s on 20s on their truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Way Fast Whitey, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Way Fast Whitey

Way Fast Whitey Newbie

I know most guys hate any wheel over 18" on a 4x4, but I will not be doing any offroading. Maybe when I go to the beach or go camping, but that's about it. This will be a daily driven and I like the look of 33s on 20s(ive seen some silverados with them) I really like the look because it gives it a 'street truck' type look but still has the offroad look and that's what I'm going for. So does anyone have some pics of them on their truck? I tried searching but didn't find anything and the pics I did find didn't work anymore.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Don't think anyone here has that setup, and you'll probably get some crap for wanting to run 20's....but i say go for it if thats the look you are after.

IM sure you realize though the wheel and tire cost will be a lot more.

And tire selection will be less. I'd look into some Nitto or Toyo tires, i think they have a larger 20" tire selection, and maybe BFG.

Good luck!

Oh, and remember, your ride quality will suffer....

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

IMHO 20's look out of place on a K5, 17's look the best and will have a much better tire selection and will probably ride and handle better than 20's.

4. Way Fast Whitey

Way Fast Whitey Newbie

Well I've yet to see then on a K5 so maybe if I saw one or saw pics I'd change my mind. But until then I can only go by how it looks in my head. I know ride quality will be worse with 20s, but I'm going for looks over that. I mean, if I wanted a smooth ride why would I have bought a truck 20 years old? :D

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

36" IROKs look alright with 20s. Anything smaller than that and it looks kind of ghetto. There are tons of wiggahs around here rollin' on dubs in their couple year old F150s and K1500s. They have such little sidewall it beats the **** out of you.

If you have stock or drum brakes, the world will laugh at you for having 20s. Not to mention the weight of a 20" wheel and a smaller than 40" rubber weighs more than a 17" combination. So, if you already have marginal brakes (or drum brakes) it'll not only look retarded, ride rough... but it won't stop for crap.

6. Way Fast Whitey

Way Fast Whitey Newbie

Do you have pics of those on a K5?

If I go with a bigger tire isn't that going to put more stress on my suspension?

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've seen a couple of K5's with 20's, all out in Fresno...................

They pretty much look like they missed the left turn at Albuquerque and ended up in da 'hood......................................................

Eminem would be proud :D

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'll have better luck seeing 20" rims in the ghetto then you will on this site. Personally, YUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  9. Way Fast Whitey

Way Fast Whitey Newbie

I just prefer bigger wheels and keeping an 'offroad' look to it with offroad tires. It's not like I'm wanting to put 26s on there with low profile tires. I'm far from being or acting like a damn

Even though these aren't offroad tires I think this looks fine. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/705000-705999/705952_2_full.jpg It would look better with bigger tires, but that's all I could find. If you don't like it, then that's why you have YOUR truck to do what YOU like. It's MY truck, MY money, and MY plans. If you can't be mature enough to not post something stupid that is no help, then don't bother posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
  10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'll find that most "Off Roaders" are in it for preformance, not looks. I can understand large rims if you need the room too clear larger breaks, but in my honest opinion, a 15" to 17" rim look fine on the GM 4wd trucks. If you must have a 20" rim, I would think you'd need atleast a 40" tire for a propper sidewall. But I don't mess with the large bling bling wheels. A word of advice, watch what you say on here, comments like your last one can get you banned. I would hate too see that happen right off the bat.

11. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

A 20 inch rim does not belong on a tire smaller then 46 inches tall on a 4x4 IMO..

A 33 inch tire on a 20 inch rim will make your truck look like your confused on whether to raise it or slam it to the ground :haha:

12. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

"Has anyone ever put 33s on 20s on their truck?"

No and you shouldn't either. :xmas:

Dude I posted my comment then re-read all of you post. Most on this site are wheelers or 4wd factory stockers and love these square body beauties that GM produced. We live by if its 4wd then treat it like its 4wd. Push your vehicle to the limit and if it breaks then upgrade until it doesn't. Mall cruisn' is fine but don't get upset when the majority is screaming go or blow. IMO 17"s are the cut off on these trucks. We'd rather spend the 3gs your gonna drop in rims on D60s, 42s, doublers, lockers, roll cages, and beer.

You may be able to find a picture of what your asking for on this site http://67-72chevytrucks.com I've seen some 2wd K5s with some big bling on there before.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that this says it all.

First, most (read: virtually all) of the folks here wheel their trucks. I doubt that you will find many, or any, that are concerned with that "street truck look". Not a bad thing, just not that thing here. Wrong group.

Second, if you like the look, why are you looking for a hug? Just buy them, put them on and be happy. It is YOU'RE TRUCK. the fact that the guys on this site don't approve shouldn't mean a thing and you getting your shorts in a bunch really won't change the fact that no one else likes your idea.

Get the wheels if it makes you happy. Find other people who like that kind of thing. Get over it. :pimp:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  14. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if it wasnt for u guys i would be really bored at work :haha: man i love this site

15. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

16. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

PS: Its your truck do what you want. Personally I wouldn't but, thats me and thats why i bought one of my own. :D

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The guy has 4 posts - he is brand new - and is not representative of the members here. It's also worth noting that his first post is one sure to bring on the flames, he has taken the name that Jessie James has on his racing suit, and he gets personally offended that others don't like his idea.

You have to worry about this type of stuff with the regular members. Give it a chance, I'm sura that a mod will lock it down in 3, 2, 1.....

18. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I've been around for a while and I know thats not the norm but I was still surprised no one else had said anything. So I did :wink1:

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I did.

20. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Sorry I must of overlooked that response. Glad I wasn't the only one. :D