Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever seen these.... (GM rear axles)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was looking through some info on Tractechs(Detroit Lockers) site and they list two axles I have never saw listed before. The application is for a:

30/3500 Cab Chassis, Motorhome, Bus chassis, Pickup rear

to '86 they list: GM 11,000# 12" dia ring gear 1.75" axleshafts 27 spline
    86-92 they list: GM 11,000# (Rockwell) 1.70" axleshafts 32 spline

And then for the 3500HD they list the 91-00 Rockwell C-102(which looks to be the same Rockwell as above. And also a Dana 80 which is 1.60" 37 spline for 92-00.....

Hmmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Has anyone saw one of the Rockwell axles? Or even a Dana 80 in a GM?

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes . They are the ones with ten lug's in the rear and five lug front hubs (2WD). All of the axles you listed are VERY stout and will support serious weight !
    Tom

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hmmm.. Learn something new everyday! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now who's going to be the first to do an 8 lug conversion? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do uses the D80.. But some a re a hybrid of a D80 center with D70 axles.

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

these axles are frigging huge. They might carry a lot of wieght, but you will be dragging a giant pumpkin across every thing you run on.

The Rockwells were used in the P-Chassis (class "a" motorhome strip chassis). Some Dana 80's were used on the P-chassis too.

Eiether axle would be overkill on a K5 with less than 40" tires thats for sure. But if you got to run the big balones these would take it!

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The D80 was used in the 3500HD GM trucks but never in a 1 ton and lighter IIRC.

Dodge on the other hand uses the D80 almost exclusively behind the cummins in the pre '03 trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Ford used the D80 in the 1 ton duallys.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

That first one sounds kind of like one of the old Eaton axles. I looked at my 1969 GMC service manual and there is one listed as a HD option on one ton trucks and step vans. It is called the H110, holds 11k. It is a dropout third axle like the smaller Eatons, except 12.25" ring gear and has the diff cover welded on. No idea on axleshaft info. I saw one of these once in the junkyard by my house, attached to the remnants of a 1970 Chevy 1 ton, but unfortunately it was scrapped a couple years ago. It was 8 lugs and one huge mofo of an axle.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Here is a blazer with rockwells
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

MMMMM........Rockwells /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

9. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

those Rockwells on that Blazer are 2 1/2 ton's. Rockwell makes other axles too. The 11k axles that he was asking about are different. They have round axle tubes rather than the square ones the 2 1/2 tons do, the pumpkin is not top mounted and no extra pinion drive flange/brake. 10 Lugs too.

10. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

When I was looking for an 87-92 1ton single wheel SFA truck last year I was told of an ex-railroad truck that had ten bolt wheels (I'm trying to get pictures of it as I speak). Can anyone give me the specifics on my rear diff (Dana 70HD)?, is it a Dana 70 with Dana 80 peices in it?, what size ring gear should it have?, how many splines on the axles?, etc, etc...
    My truck is a 1988 Chevrolet V30 (SFA, old body style still) dually.
    Thanks,
    James

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The dana 70/80 hybrid you are thinking of is a Dodge only item, it had D70 tubes, shafts, and outers, and a D80 centersection w/ 1 pc carrier.

12. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

hmm that's weird because I saw 70HD stamped on the axle tube of it (would it help you out if I took some pictures of it tomorrow?).

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

ohh, the 70HD...that uses the D80 pinion bearings, but I don't think it shares any other parts.

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    those Rockwells on that Blazer are 2 1/2 ton's. Rockwell makes other axles too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why yes they are, and yes they do. You wanna buy some /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

John

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The GM versions of the Dana 70HD share the same carrier bearings as the Dana 80's but not the pinion bearings ( the Dana 80 small pinion bearing is much larger than the 70 stuff and the inner pinion bearing is similar in size but has a much different pitch on the tappered rollers ) .
    The tubes on the HD 70 are 4" O.D. and IIRC they are 9/16" thick and the Dana 80's in the Dodge/Ford trucks are 4" O.D. and 5/8" thick tubes.
    I learned from U2SLOW that the GM Dana 70 HD shares the same dually hubs as the Dually 14FF and also brakes w/related components.
    The differential from a HD 70 could be used in a Dana 80 if the ring gear bolt holes are bored out to the Dana 80 size.
    HTH's a little , Tom

P.S. I just re-read your post and I did not answer some of your questions - sorry .
    The HD 70 has a ring gear diameter of 10.54" (Dana 80's are 11.25")
    It should have 1-1/2" 35 spline axles
    The only thing that is a DIRECT interchange with a Dana 80 are the carrier bearings.