Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ever used.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Uncle Fester, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

I have been searching the various postings for a way to mount my spare tire on the back of my barn door suburban, bumper mounted swing out, bumper mounted drop down, ect ect ect... and it got me wondering if anyone has ever used a VAN style rear door mount, or modified a van one with any success. I am thinking of using a drivers side door mounted spare tire carrier for my spare, and MAYBE making a modified one on the passenger side to hold a JERRY CAN or two. Any thoughts?:(

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running? The problem with mounting a spare to the door is that it puts alot of undue stress on the door hinges. If you are running anything 33 or larger I wouldn't even consider it personnaly. I like the swingout bumper mounted type myself.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I looked at this myself.
    Parked my van next to the burb and realized the van bracket won't work due to the curve of the burb door, not to mention that the weight of a stock tire on my van is already making the hinges sag.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

FWIW I've been designing a rear swing-away bumper for my barn door Sub in SolidWorks. The plan is to put the tire on the driver's side and the pivot also one the driver's side. The swinger will stop just short of interferring with opening the pass side rear door.