Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HAS ANYONE EVER WELDED A TRANNY TO TRANSFER CASE ADAPTER?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 speed 205 adapter with a hairline crack around it. Is it a good idea to weld it up, or should I find another one. If it is not a good idea, does someone have one for sale that is reasonable? thanks, Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cast can be welded, but it needs to be done by someone that knows how to do it correctly. That said, as thick as the adapters are, it would take a lot of work to make it solid again if you ask me. You'd have to grind down into the metal to make sure you welded the WHOLE crack.

I'd be looking for another one if it were me, although I STILL don't understand why there are no aftermarket billet ones made. I mean I've seen used stock ones go for $150!!! And the 4spd/205 adapters in reality are not that common. They also seem to be the ones that always have the problems.

Although maybe thats because the 465/205 combo can take so much more punishment without breaking than an auto trans setup, the adapter is the weakest link lol

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If the adapter is aluminum, your gonna have fun welding it. Aluminum is a bitch to weld from what I hear.

IF it is steel then you should be ok, As long as it is done right.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

There is a place in portland that can weld it, but it would cost as much as a replacement. With cast they put the whole thing in a oven to evenly bring it up to temp before welding. Because of the impurities, the weld is not as strong as the original. 465/205 adapters are easy to find since nearly all 73 -79 GM truck 4 speeds used a 205 case.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I cracked mine about 3 years ago and welded it up at work one night. I used a grinder and a die grinder to open the crack up a bit so when i welded it there would be good penetration.
    You need a special stick electrode to weld cast and it is tricky. I pre-heated the adaptor to get it evenly warm, then wleded up the crack itself. Then I buried it in a big bucket of sand so it wouldn't cool too fast...
    At the end of the night I removed the adaptor from the bucket and it was still warm to the touch but no longer hot. I cleaned up the weld a bit with a small detail sander and took it home and installed it. So far its lasted no probs, including jumping the truck at Sand Lakes.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Could those who have broken the adapter elaborate on how/where it broke? My brother's broke on his '70 (350/205). Don't know how he did it, we found it when he removed the trans tunnel cover to remove slop in shifter linkage. Cracked about 2/3s of the way around the top half of the figure 8 on the t-case side. Gonna have a buddy tig weld it. Just wondering if this is a common occurance, and how you guys have prevented it from reoccuring. BTW the truck does still have the bracked from the t-case to the pass side frame rail.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. tRustyK5

I came out of a mudhole really hard, the end of the pit has a shelf thats fairly firm and I hit it and launched my front end up well over 4 feet, then the back tires hit and the front came down hard. I suspect compressing the front suspension that much bottomed out the front driveshaft transferring all the force to the T-case adaptor and cracking it.

Oddly enough jumping the truck at Sand Lake didn't hurt a thing, but the landing was sane in comparison.

Rene

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Brian,

My adaptor is broken. Really depends on where its cracked. I had an adaptor which had one ear broken off the top portion where it bolts to the transfer case. I had my Father weld it with Nickel rod. He pre heated the part, welded and then we allowed it to cool naturally. It has held up just fine for me, but I am a little skeptical at times. I dont want to have major drivetrain failure because of it! I will probably buy another adaptor sometime in the future. One other note, make sure you either mate the part to its respective tranny or transfer case and weld it. I did not do this the first time and it cracked after we bolted it up. I then ground out the weld, and rewelded it while being attached to an old transfer case.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

9. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Just got done replacing a cracked one. Got a NEW one from the dealer, the price was not that bad! $153.75

Ron

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The dealer still sells 465-205 adapters???

I wonder if they still sell 400-203 adapters?

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>www.off-road.com/chevy</a>

11. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Yep, ordered it about 3 weeks ago and it came in in about 5 days! The 465/205 that is!

Ron

12. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI, I used to be a weld inspector. Have inspected a handful of different types of metal from Aerospace applications, to Petro/Chem. In the few years I did it, the one thing I found to be consistantly a pain in the you know what was aluminum castings. They do have to preheated, a must, even then its a random success rate. The heat affected zone is prone to hairline cracks during cooling. Reason being is aluminum has such great heat dispersion (sp) properties, the it cools that zone so fast due to the fact the rest of the casting soaks up, or takes the heat away from the welded area. I used to do the gear boxes, that were for the tilt function on the Osprey tilt rotor aircraft. Out of 10, I might pass one on average on its first time thru inspection, and these were done by highly skilled welders (not that no one on here isn't, just an FYI, not meant to offend anyone ). Those things used to have so many small fractures, it was not even funny. I could not believe they would allow such a thing to be a part of an airplane of any sort.

13. tRustyK5

Well having had the misfortune of welding cast aluminum before I'd say you're right on the mark. The NP 205 Adaptor is cast iron though...like that's any more fun to weld.

A company i worked for built generators, the big industrial sized ones. All our bigger Gen-Sets used Deere power and quite a few used a very large sump for oil. The sump tank was under the motor and usually contained up to 25 gallons of oil. The fun part was the oil pick-up had to be in the sump below the motor which required a hole in the bottom of the oil-pan, a piece of tube welded to the pan and a flexible connection to the sump. These had all been done before with the steel pans with no trouble's, but our stock of engines was almost exclusively cast aluminum pans and the demand for the deep sump meant we had to at least try it. The tube was 6061-T6 welded to cast aluminum, and the job to make it work fell to me. I welded 16 pans before i quit that job and had one failure...it just kept spiderwebbing until it was junk.

I'll take welding cast iron over that any day! [​IMG]

Rene

14. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

As Rene said, the key is the pre-heating of the part. Although I've never welded cast iron before, I've read up on it for some repairs I want to do to an old coal stove. It needs to be brought up to around 400F prior to welding. The suggestion I got was to use a propane weed burner and a tempil stick (a temperature sensitive crayon).

Of course, the adaptor should be small enough to heat up in the oven, won't your wife love that?

John

John

15. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a good friend who is a professional welder, and can weld anything except pewter. Welding cast iron is no problem for him, and the weld will be stronger that the rest of the adapter. If you are interested in having it fixed let me know and I will talk to him about it.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

16. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Gonna go pick up some nickel rod at lunch today and have a buddy TIG it. We got the broken-off part to line up good, just need to get the right rod. Given the cost of a new one, we figure it's worth a shot to try and fix it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd