Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone experienced this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

A few months ago my 76 blazer (6" lift, 12 bolt w/ govlok) began 'popping' for lack of a better term, almost everytime as I near a complete stop or begin to accelerate. It will 'pop' a couple of times (a metalic sound) just before I come to a complete stop. Then once more as I begin to accelerate. It's as though something is being shifted forward from the momentum, then released. The stopping pops sound just like the accelerating pop with the exception that the stopping pops seem to be more severe as I near a complete stop. I can roll 2 feet and hit the brakes and it'll pop. I have had others drive the truck so I can locate the problem from outside and I see nothing. They've tried and see nothing. It sounds like it's coming from the back end though. I've replaced brake shoes and several components of the brake hardware and nothing has cured it. The poly spring bushings are about 6-7 years old. Could they be getting dry and causing this? Maybe body bushings?-(original rubber) I have my doubts that it's the gov-lok. The truck doesn't shake or buck when it pops. Can't feel anything in the pedals either. You just kind of hear it and maybe feel it a little bit in the seats.

Any thoughts will help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

are your body mounts ok?can't really hear what your talking about but i had a popping like that on acc. and stop. mount was almost gone changed it and no more pop.it was the rear cab mount by the tranny hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifor makes sense for that matter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

body mounts. its a big problem on our trucks.
    could be something else as well, but thats where i would start. check the ones just behind and in front of the seats first.
    grant

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Driveshaft!

If the rear driveshaft is waaaay unlubed, it sticks as it compresses when my sorry stock floppy springs roll forward (mmm, axle wrap on factory suspension /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and goes pop.

There's a zerk on the driveshaft up by the t-case. Lube it like there's no tomorrow and go for a spin.

-- A

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

my blazer did that all the time, and it was two things, tranny mount, then it came back and it was the brake shoes sticking and then releasing

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Good thoughts people, thanks. So did you just replace the brake hardware and all was fine?

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i ended up putting in new pads and hardware, but i also did my lift at the same time, so its really hard to say. i forgot to mention that before, i put in all new springs and i did have a few broken leafs in one of the old packs.