Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone figured out how to keep herculiner from deteriorating from UV ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Sep 24, 2002.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

2 years ago I put herculiner on my rocker panels. It did not hold up well. It became very dull and flakey with uv exposure. I just re-applied and I want to keep it nice and shiny looking. Is there something you can coat it with to protect it? What about gloss black paint? Thanks

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Get a can of high quality clear gloss paint like urathane that should do it.
    Colin

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

You could leave it in the garage and then the sun would not hit it /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Honestly though there is not much that UV will not destroy given time. My LineX has gone 4 years in the bed of my pickup without and noticeable signs of UV. So I guess it is either 100 bucks ever two years or 450 once every 5 who knows which is better in the long run. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Herculiner makes a topcoat specifically designed to protect the Herc from UV. It will restore the chalky looking stuff back to new looking. </font color>

5. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

mix in a bottle of copper tone, nice tan color afterwards! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine swears that enamel paint (rattle can) will chemically mix w/ the Herc. and keep it new looking. He's had some on his truck for 2+ years, with no visable signs of fade.

John