Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone had this happen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, May 31, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I just came back from wheelin' and while cleaning up the mud I noticed my transfer case crossmember is twisted towards the rear of the truck.The crossmember itself doesn't appear to be bent but the bottom part of the frame where it bolts up is pushed up about 3" in the front.I know I can heat up the bottom part of the frame and us a come-along to pull the crossmember toward the front.Is there anything I can do to fix this so that it doesn't happen again?Like make a stronger crossmember and box the frame where it bolts up?Has anyone done this?Some pics of crossmembers would be nice.

2. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

From what I understand you dont want to box just a portion of the frame since it will put more stress on other areas of the frame. I would heat it up and bend it back as you said and then build a new crossmember that would spread the load out over a larger area of the frame. But this has never happened to me so i have never dealt with it, just how I would do it I think. :grin:

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It would help if we knew what you had ???
    I am assuming that you have a 85+ set up. They usually are the ones to do that. The earlier designs spread the bolts out farther at the frame rails and don't seem to be as much of a problem.
    Tom

4. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 K5 with 33's.I hit a hole pretty hard and I think that did it.My gas tank is bashed in pretty good too.So the earlier ones were better? Would one of those fit mine?

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kind of like this?

[​IMG]

We put three pieces of 1/4" plate in place of the small factory spacer and one plate on top of the frame to fix it.

6. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

YES!!Exactly like that, except without the spacers.What do the older crossmembers look like?

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe they look exactly like mine, just turned over so the lip of the channel is on the frame instead.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The spacers actually go on the top of the frame rail to give enough spacing for the bolts.
    The earlier crossmembers have the channel kind of oposite of that picture and the outer most part is where the bolts go through.
    The problem you will have is that in 1985 the adaptets changed to a "short" design hence the different x-member. If you wanted to convert to a 1984 and down x-member you will need a different adapter as well. Bracing the lower part of the "C" channell up is less work and probably your best fix.
    Tom