Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone heard any thing on the 4.9L V6 Duramax???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by grimjaw, Feb 7, 2006.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

From Peterson's :

David Kennedy: Was off in Detroit at General Motor's Milford Proving grounds to see the newest GM engines and transmissions. He drove 2006 Silverado 2500HDs with the new 6.6L (LBZ code) Duramax (360 hp / 650lb-ft of torque) backed by the newly upgraded Allison 1000 now with six speeds! He also spied a sneak peak of a light duty 3/4-ton with a 4.9L Duramax V6 backed by a 4L80E. No word on when we might see this engine in production - but now we know it exists. David also got his first chance to drive a Hummer H1 (Duramax/Allison 6-speed version) after being at the magazine for five years. He had to keep it on the pavement, and can now say no matter how cool you think these trucks look on the street - they're no fun to drive on the pavement. It's just too cramped inside!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read about it in Diesel Power magazine. I think it's more aimed for 1/2t's and maybe light 3/4's. It would be perfect for a 1/2ton. I think Dodge should stick a late model 4 banger ISBE in a 1/2 Dodge.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking that a V6 Duramax would be a popular engine to swap in to trucks. Heck I could even see the in Wranglers and other small 4x4s.

4. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

That would be a nice engine to stuff into a 1st gen Toyota 4Runner or 2nd gen pickup and head off to the hills for a little wheeling :)

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Be sweet in a Yukon or something for a light duty tow rig/ wifes rig. I could probably loose the mini van for such a rig and still get 27MPG with seating for 7 :D

6. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

conversion from 6.2 to duramax 6 cyl? Probally alot of computer stuff though. still be kinda cool