Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone here added A/C to a CUCV???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Aug 11, 2006.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here added A/C to a CUCV???

I have a M1028 that I am looking to do a few upgrades to. I have been told by my wife to see about adding A/C to it. Rather than try and re-invent the wheel I thought I would ask here. Somebody has to done this before.

My first thought was, OK just remove one from a Civilian truck. I would like to add a 6.5L turbo setup in the future and have heard that the stock A/C box on the under hood firewall is in the way.

A few posts have referred to using an S-10 A/C box instead. I am not sure if it’s a direct fit or need to but ‘adjusted’ to work.

The other, more expensive options is to use an aftermarket setup. Vintage Air has some stuff that looks like it would work but they are pricey.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have seen it done. I know the ambulance has it but the alt is a big one. Will go look for some pics post in a few.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The M1010 has stock A/C, but the M1008, M1009, M1028.... do not.

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK only could find these right now but keep an eye on ebay and do a search for M1010 CUCV and save it then get emails when anything is added.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I"ve recently done the s10 ac box with the 6.5 turbo setup, its not a bolt in deal. I had to cut the two a/c boxes and fiberglass them together. I'd like to see where the actual ac unit is on that truck in the pic. I see the compressor, but no ac box. sounds like the best if you can find one of those to put in.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Seem to remember the M1010's having a box above the cab for AC ... or was that for an AC unit for the amublance box?

-- A

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

is it easy to run AC with a 6.2? ive got a 350 now but if i swap to a 6.2, will i have to lose the AC?

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I would also like to know about the a/c on a cucv, I have already ripped the heater off of the firewall, but am still contemplating on which route to take to convert it like grimjaw earlier mentioned. Only I have an m1008.

Regards,
    Remington

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might try a place that specializes in A/C installation. We had a place install A/C in a couple of 1008's when I was in the service. The A/C was installed because the trucks were used for K-9 patrols. The installs were clean and we never had any problems with them.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

External A/C!..

I've seen a few pickups and vans here using an A/C unit from an old RV like a Winnebago mounted on the roof!..bet cooling capacity isn't an issue!..:D

I've seen a few home A/C units poking out of the back windows of pickups,and out the rear window of a few vans too..they must be using an inverter to get 110V to run them...either of those options would be easier than adding a factory A/C unit--and removeable when not needed!. .....:crazy:

11. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

the only way the 6.2 is in the way of ac is if you use the 6.5 turbo setup on it. if you use a banks turbo or none at all it works just fine.

12. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The trouble is Banks wants $2000 for their turbo. The 6.5 turbo may be cheap even with the added A/C cost. I am trying to explore the options.

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ever thought of running "Vintage Air"? Might be a cheaper alternative to using factory components? I think there kit is 6 or 700 bucks. Most of which mounts inder the dash and is a standalone system minus the compressor under the hood.

Just something to think about..

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Before I posted this I Searched here, SteelSoldiers, and the Dieselpage. There are a few Aftermarket companies that may work.

This is a very good post from http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1083

15. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats the Post that had the link to the one I reposted above. The problem is those guys are trying for the whole Authentic Military Vehicle thing. CK5 has a lot more experience with Chevys that anyone outside of GM. I am hoping members here have direct experience with this swap.

17. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

you can buy just the turbo manifold from banks for $200. then just slap your own turbo own and plumb it. gotta custom plumb the 6.5 setup anyhow.