Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone here done crossover steering on a 1st gen blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryanNC, Dec 7, 2000.

1. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

I have a dana 60 ready waitin for the swap but I figured I might try the crossover before boltin it in. The question is what pitman arm do I use. It looks like the 2wd box will bolt right in. Also, where do I get that steering arm for the passenger knuckle to work in my 1970 blazer.

N.C. redneck moto=
    If she starts to sink.......HOLD'ER DOWN!!!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm about to do this myself. If you're using a dana 60 front, the passenger side knuckle will work. Only the 77+ dana 44 and 10 bolt fronts need the new knuckle. Parts Mike (forgot his number and email, someone here has to know) has the arm and the Full Size J**p pitman arm. Do I need to swap the 2WD output shaft into my 4WD box? I have a rebuilt 2WD box I got for $10 [​IMG] and I would rather just bolt that on since its perfect</font color=blue>

3. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

So your saying by fullsize J**p, meaning a J-truck or Wagganer pitman arm? J**p this, F**d that, my chevy might as well be called a hybrid. Just 98% Chevy that's all. I'm hoping to use a power box of my parts 71 2wd truck. It better work or I'll be pissed. Thanks for the reply.

70 blazer
    "Baby, I'm not stuck, my speedometer says I'm doing 40mph!!"

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yeah you need the J-truck dropped pitman arm. Its made by superlift I think. The box off your 2WD should work, but I heard the lines are different. If they are, you have to swap the 2WD output shaft into the 4WD box. </font color=blue>

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Call Parts Mike for both the pitman arm (Superlift #1104) and the steering arm that mounts to the passenger side knuckle of the Dana 60. Mikes # is 530-885-0673. Also, the '71 2WD steering box should bolt right into your K5. Only trouble about getting a complete crossover setup from one of the manufacturers of them, is that you'll pay about 4 times as much as you need to. Source all the parts yourself and save hundreds of dollars!!!

ken

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Check the prices on the performance unlimited site. I think you'll find that 170.00 for all of the pieces needed to do the conversion is TOTALLY not 4 times as much as you'd pay somewhere else. Plus, the way it's designed makes it to where you won't need to disassemble the passenger side knuckle at all, just drill out the taper where your tie-rod end goes through and that's it. I don't know if it could be simpler or cheaper, even if you do it all yourself. You would need the steering box and pitman arm, but you CAN go get those from them junkyard, or get a dropped one from superlift or another lift manufacturer.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Buddy, that method sounds pretty dang good!! I'm gonna have to go check out that performance site and see whats up with their system. The 4 times price I was referring to was places like ORU with their crossover kit for $850!!!!! Buyer beware!!!

ken

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Those are made more specifically for the little broncos. I would NOT want to connect my draglink to the tierod as is done with the performance unlimited kit. The angle of the draglink puts more stress on the tierod and has more bump-steer than with a steering are on the top of the knuckle. With a dana 60, it's as simple as unbolting the cap on the knuckle and bolting on the new steering arm (parts mike $75 or so). If you want some a nice draglink and tierod, contact performance unlimited and give them your dimentions. They are very nice, i've been in their shop a number of times.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

10. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Squash - I don't understand why mounting the tie-rod like the performance unlimited kit says to, would create more bumpsteer, or stress on the tie-rod. I could understand that it might make the knuckle a little weaker, but I think it would be negligible. Does it have to do with the dynamics of the rod-end design or something that I'm not aware of. The only thing I can think of being careful about is the possible interference between the draglink and the leafsprings. If you have a 4" lift or more I don't see it being a problem, but there might be some interference with a stock or mildly lifted truck. I think this kit would work great, especially with the thickness of the tubing they use. It would take some ridiculous pressure to tear it up, and your sector shaft in the steering box would go out before then. I can see no negatives about the setup.

Simple, cheap and BUTT-STRONG!! What could be better?

My .02,

buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

11. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

Thanks A bunch guys. Since I work at an off-road store I was able to purchase the HOLY J**p peice for $43 bucks. Too cool. Now all I need is the pass arm and I can finish the front. I will reply again if I run into anything else.
    Thanks again.

Kick-ass 70 blazer thanks to coloradok5