Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone here removed the driprail on the windshield frame?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Apr 25, 2003.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has done this. The driprail on my windshield frame is a rust trap. I would like to just shave it off for a cleaner look. I want to run a softtop so I need to know if the drip rail is critical for a soft top to be installed?

Thanks,
    David

'72 K5

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I am sure it will depend on the top, but for the fast track top it wasnt needed/used when I installed mine.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TED

TED Registered Member

My Bestop snaps on about an inch behind the driprail. I might be way off but it seems to me that the drip rail might be a good wind block for the snaps on the front of the soft top. On the freeway the wind comes ripping up the front of the windshield and it seems to me that the driprail would deflect the wind stream up over the snaps. Without it, the wind may be too much for those snaps and rip the top off over time. Just a thought, maybe this wouldn't be an issue at all but it is something to consider or email a soft top manufacturer about. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    Ted

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think the driprail might also be useful for keeping water out of that front seal when driving "at speed"....

I don't know if your K5 is more of a fair weather toy or not, but it would be a real bummer to shave that lip and find out that your windsheild funnels water all over your dash and legs when you drive!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

The drip rail is important to keeping water out. I would recomment to sandblast the devil out of it, repair(weld) where necessary, and give it a good primer/pain recoat. This should make it good for a long time if you keep it free of dirt/mud with a hose every once in a while.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

There is also body caulking applied along the inside of the drip rail. If you're going to refinish it you could pick some up at a body shop supply house

7. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

Jeeps dont have drip rails, nor do any new rag tops that I have seen. I guess I need to look at a jeep and see how the softop attaches at the front.

The top corners of my windshield frame are eaten up pretty bad. I just thought it would be easier to repair without a driprail in the way. I dont want to try to find a new frame and cut mine to install it. I would rather just use what I have.

Thanks,
    David

8. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I think that the front section of the windshield frame is spot welded to the top section of the frame along the drip rail. If you remove the rail, you will have to run a weld the entire length of the frame to stitch it back up. The drip rail also contributes to the structural rigidity of the frame. I don't see any advantage of removing it. BTW, I also own a 73 and 79 CJ (J**p) and they both have drip rails along the top of the windshield frames. They are not along the leading edge like the Blazer, but rather along the trailing edge which is concealed by the hard or soft top when they are on. Serves the same purpose though when the tops are off.