Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has anyone here swapped there 10 bolt for a 14 bolt semifloater 6 lug?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, Dec 15, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i've read lots of talk of it but want to hear from people who have done it. main questions are: what are the common r&ps in the semi floater 6 lugs? did they ever come with 3.42s? this is what i'm currently running and don't want to get into the front diff. any brake line, e brake line or driveline issues to know about?

not interested in going solid front axle at this point. this is a daily driver and want to beaf the rear for mild towing and hauling tools.

93 burb 1500

2. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I put a 14 Bolt SF in my 86 Sub and the gears were 3.42, most are that come in the six lug, some are 3.73 though. It should be a direct bolt-up in your case, check the spring widths, if not cut off the spring perches and put new ones on. The lug bolts are slightly larger because its a 3/4 ton axle. It bolted up fine with my stock driveshaft and a 4" lift, I don't think the yoke is any closer. I had to swap the brakelines and e-brake on mine, I doubt you will. If so I just took them off my 10 bolt. Better brakes, and I got a full width axle unlike the 14 Bolt FF. I also had the shock mounts cut off and rotated up to increase ground clearance, and it gave the shocks less angle. Steel braided brake lines are also a worthy investment.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Not first-hand info, but my boss used to do it on ex-cop K1500 Burb's he fixed up and re-sold. The cops would sell 'em off after the 10-bolt blew up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3.42 and 3.73 are the most common ratio. Make sure you get the rear end from a 4x4, or the track width will be wrong and 265 tires will rub the springs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The spring perch widths are the same.

The 14SF doesn't have sway-bar brackets. You will have to go without the swaybar, unless you're handy with a welder. The driveshaft for a 14SF is 1/2" shorter than it is for a 10-bolt. None of the ones he did got shortened, there was enough clearance.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What do yo umean full width, unlike the 14 bff? The semifloater is just as narrow.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Some light duty C2500's came with 6-lug 9.5's, and they were a couple of inches narrower than the 4x4 axles. I put one on my 93, and it bolted right on but the track was narrow. I ran 265's on stock wheels and they didn't hit but it was close.