Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has anyone pulled a th350 solo?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jul 27, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

have 2 bolts at top of bell housing to go and one jack(not tranny hack). where are my neighborly neighbors when I need them. I'm just about ready to pull it out myself. But i Have this horrible picture in my mind of the torque conv crashing and then the tranny crashing to floor. Has anyone done this solo if so do you have any tips? Or should I definately not attempt this. Did the transfer case solo and it was tuff? young and dumb. Well, ok not so young.

2. I am on my second tranny swap solo, the first was more like a McGiver show, I had ropes,a kids wagon, my floor jack, and 2x4's. What a mess, but I got it in without hurting the trannies or me !! This time I thought it out and used my floor jack with a 18" --2x6 bolted to(I took out that lil round peice and bolted through there) it front to back and then put a 2x4 up front and in the back about 12 to 14" wide, the opposite way(side to side). Perfect platform for the tranny. Oh yeah don't even try to take the tranny and transfer out together. Well I have a 12" lift so I used my kids wagon again to get the right height and have wheels. It was perfect and I didn't even break a sweat !! Leave the Torque Converter bolted to the flex plate until you have the tranny down. My floor jack is a 3 ton but very small, it may lift to 17 or 18" !! It was shaped like this !
    IIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIII
    IIII
    IIII
    IIII
    IIII
    IIII
    IIII
    IIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIII
    IIII

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

James, go out and rent a tranny jack! Its pretty easy and there isnt much room under the truck for two people anyway. I used the floor jack to relieve the weight on the motor mounts when the tranny was out. Leave the transfer hooked up, remove your bolts and give it a couple of tugs, side to side and it'll back right out! (be sure and use the tie down chain) good luck! If you have any q's give me a shout.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Yes it can be done, but I would recomend having someone there. good luck.

5. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

I did mine By myself. I also have the exhaust pipes that run right under the tranny. I didnt cut those. I used a floor jack and a 2x4 before the exhaust crosses over. after I had the tranny unbolted I slid the jack back untill i wouldnt go cause of the exhaust. I took a nother floor jack and put it under the back half of the pan. Then I just slid it back till it cleared the exhaust and lowered it down. Gettin it out aint a prob by yourself, it putting it back in!

Good luck

81 Beater

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Yes in 30 minutes. Reguires 2 jacks and a special adapter plate i built. Took a foot long section of angle iron and drilled 2 holes in it to match the xfer case adapter....then i welded a used freightliner spring pin to it and for added strength i addded a matching 3/4 i believe flat washer and welded it in place. Use one jack on the trans pan to hold it up then remove exmember...then bolt up the tool ..remove the cup from the 2nd jack and insert the pin end of the tool into the hole on the jack....now remove jack number one and go man go....with a 4 inch lift i can roll the mated assm out from under the truck and clear the frame..it balances both units really nice!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I did it about the same way as BigBurb. I used a peice of 3/4 ply and some 2x4s. I have a BIG floor jack that has some good lift and was tall enough to reach the trannny and bolted the ply wood to it with a stack of BIG fender washers so it had some room to rock around to help in removal and install. I have a very simmula set up for my NP203 case. I can get both out in about 1.5 hours. I also usualy take the converter with the tranny. You by NO MEANS want to bolt the converter to the flex plate and install it. The tranny has " dog ears" that the converter engages and if it misses these you will trash the pump and the converter. You cant feel them engage with the converter bolted to the flex plate.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

an auto trany by your self pice of cake! try me little NV4500 by your self [​IMG] !!! just put the converter on, use some saft wire from one converter bolt hole to a trany bolt hole, do this on one or both side use the bottom holes of the trany. Place the whole thing on a good floor jack. roll in it under and jack it up in there. Get 3 or 4 3 or 31/2 inch 3/8.16 bolts to help get things started. after you get the longer bolts in and the trany slid up close remove the safety wir that was holding the converter on slid it on up and start the other 2 bolts , use the right one here. then pull out the longer ones and replace them with the right ones. A auto trany is what 150 or 170 lbs. Whay do I have that 225 lb 5 speed, and the bellhuseing is another 35 lbs to boot.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just did my SM465 and NP 205, you guessed it, by myself in and out. I definitely don't recommend this, I had a couple of wobbly/scary moments going back in! So where were all my neighbors and friends that I have helped out of so many tight spots? "Sorry man I gotta wash the dog" "I'd really like to help but but my wife wants the ironing finished"
    Oh well thats my rant for the day, at least I did'nt drop the trany/T-case on my head!

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Gonna go home today have a beer or two and rig my jack take the tranny out by myself. Just wondering since the k5 is going to be my main vehicle pulling my new boat approx 3000lbs. I live in So Cal(lots of mountain driving to the lakes) should I throw a tranny cooler on? This is new to me. From reading previous posts sound fairly simple. Finances are tight right now. So if this is not a must I won't But if it makes that much of a difference I will. As always I appreciate everyones input. Couldn't do these projects without you guys.
    Thanks
    James

11. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

If your doing lots of towing, especially through mountains, put in a tranny cooler. I bought one from GM, 22,000lbs. Seems to keep it pretty cool.

Don't have too many beers before you pull.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

12. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

dont skimp on the cooler the bigger the better

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Boy, do I hear that! I had to change a clutch a couple of times with the 465/205 combo, and then I had to install the 465/doubler/205, which tipped the scales at almost 500 lbs! I weighed it on a digital pull-scale thingy hanging from the cherry picker. I think next time I will weld up a bracket to hold it because it would be very easy to get hurt seriously.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

14. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Dude,, I only pulled mine and put it back in once.. but I can say the 350 is the lightest tranny I've ever picked up. It was so easy to lift in and out by myself,,, I just got on my knees under the truck and lifted it right in. A 4" lift helps,,, it wouldn't have been that easy if the blazer was stock height.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

15. James

James 1/2 ton status

Todd, what kind of vitamins you taking? If I attempted that with my old back my pregnant wife would have to come and drag me out from under the truck. Seriously though what does a th350 weigh 150lbs? I think I'll stick with rigged jack.
    Peace
    James

16. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The best way to remove and replace a tranny/transfer combo is with a cherry picker thru the right door, drop the chain down thru the 4x4 shifter hole and bolt it on in between the tranny and transfer (bolt holes up thru adapter) and lower it down. EASY!!! MUCH safer than a jack combo, and usually the jack won't let you roll it out from under the truck. Good luck!!

ken

17. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I just finished swapping in a SM465/205 combo into my K10 to replace the TH350/205 combo that I had. I had the luxury of having a friend locate a complete rust free donor truck back home in Colorado with the SM465/205 and trailered it out here to me. A decent short bed 4x4 still brings good money here in the salt belt, especially with an automatic. So, I installed my old TH350 into it to sell in order to get my money back and still make a profit to boot - not to mention the pedals, column, changing the trans tunnel, swapping drive shaft pieces, rewiring the neutral safety switch, and installing a cooler. I only had help removing the SM465 from the donor and installing it into my truck. Removing the TH350 with the 205 still bolted on was actually very easy on my 4” lifted truck. I used two floor jacks. One on the trans pan and the other on the passengers’ side rear of the transfer case. Once all of the bolts were loose I lowered the trans by staggering the jacks down a little at a time. Then I rolled the truck forward to clear the exhaust and finished lowering the trans. Luckily, my exhaust was strong enough to hold up the engine. I just reversed the process when installing the TH350/205 into the donor truck..

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!

18. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    I just finished swapping in a SM465/205 combo into my K10 to replace the TH350/205 combo that I had. I had the luxury of having a friend locate a complete rust free donor truck back home in Colorado with the SM465/205 and trailered it out here to me. A decent short bed 4x4 still brings good money here in the salt belt, especially with an automatic. So, I installed my old TH350 into it to sell in order to get my money back and still make a profit to boot - not to mention the pedals, column, changing the trans tunnel, swapping drive shaft pieces, rewiring the neutral safety switch, and installing a cooler. I only had help removing the SM465 from the donor and installing it into my truck. Removing the TH350 with the 205 still bolted on was actually very easy on my 4” lifted truck. I used two floor jacks. One on the trans pan and the other on the passengers’ side rear of the transfer case. Once all of the crossmember and bellhousing bolts were loose I lowered the trans by staggering the jacks down a little at a time. Then I rolled the truck forward to clear the exhaust and finished lowering the trans. Luckily, my exhaust was strong enough to hold up the engine. I just reversed the process when installing the TH350/205 into the donor truck..

Push buttons are for radios NOT transfer-cases!!!

19. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The one I weighted had some fluid in it and the crossmember and the marrage adaptor, and the torque conv.
    it tipped the scale at 94.676767678678689798787634275637 lbs.
    They are heavy, but not as heavy as the NP203 !
    Good luck and be carfull

20. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Has anyone pulled a th350 solo? ......Is that what the "kids " are calling it now a days ? hahahahahahaha !

L8r,

.Riz.